cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hebaishi
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Three months, still no broadband

I moved into a new build property in early December last year, and I contacted BT about making an FTTP order. I was informed my property would be ready for service on the 4th of January 2018. That date came and went, and i mid-January I received a text message from BT telling me my property still wasn't ready for service. I have spoken to the FTTP team on 0800 587 4787 numerous times, but all they tell me is that my property isn't ready for service.

A couple more weeks passed, and I received more text messages from BT (on average, I get one every three weeks) telling my my property wasn't ready for service. On the 25th of January I received a letter from BT telling me 8 weeks had passed since I first made the complaint, so I had the option of contacting the Communications Ombudsman to resolve the issue. I did so at the end of January.

I have now received a response from my investigating officer at the Ombudsman Services. He simply informed me that my property still wasn't ready for service, and that there was nothing he could do about it.

It has now been three months since I first contacted BT about making my fibre optic broadband order, and all I know is that my property isn't ready for service. Any help or guidance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Three months, still no broadband

Is the new build on a development, if so you could try chasing up the developer to see if they can chase things up. 

If it is a "self build" with no developer I don't think there will be anything further that you can do. You have exhausted the complaints system and gone to the Ombudsman.

It will be a matter of waiting now for BT's supplier, Openreach, to complete the work that needs to be done or for you to look into the possibility of some other means of supply to your property with broadband.

0 Ratings
hebaishi
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

I have spoken to the developer and they have informed me that there is nothing to be done on their side. I know for a fact that our neighbour who lives in the same building a few doors down from us is already connected. I actually already have an ONT Unit in the flat, so I don't really know what work OpenReach need to do.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

What lights are showing on the ONT?

0 Ratings
hebaishi
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Power: Green

PON: Off

LOS: Red

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Regarding what has still to be done, there is nobody on this forum that will be able to answer that for you.

You could try contacting your MP and ask if there is anything he/she can find out failing that, as I have said, all you can do now is wait or look for some other way to get broadband. I would however keep pestering BT although it will no doubt fall on deaf ears. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

If LOS is red, then there is no optical signal coming in. Is there a fibre connected?

See this picture http://forumhelp.dyndns.info:8088/myweb/web/broadband/infinity/fttp/fttp.jpg

Or http://forumhelp.dyndns.info:8088/myweb/web/broadband/infinity/fttp/new%20ONT.jpg

You should be able to view these temporary pictures until 1500 today.

0 Ratings
hebaishi
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

ont_snapshot.jpg

0 Ratings
hebaishi
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Is there anything I could try at home to check my fiber optic connection?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

@hebaishi wrote:

Is there anything I could try at home to check my fiber optic connection?

No, there is no optical signal coming in, you cannot do anything about that.

Do not disturb the fibre connection, or you will introduce a fault.

0 Ratings