Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
imleaving
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Totally lost, need a mac, dont know if Im posting in the right place. Help

Hi guys, right then, here goes.

I am a little lost on here, Im not sure if this is the correct way of posting a new topic/question, but I cant seem to figure out how it works so Ive put it on here in the hope that someone see's it.

About a month ago I was going to swap from BT to another provider as I had been offered a cheaper deal. I rang BT for a MAC code, and when I did they offered me the same price as the other company, so I said I would stay with BT. I rang and cancelled the other company and sat and waited for BT to continue the service that they had promised. They had offered me land line with free evening and weekend calls, and unlimited broad band for just under £25 per month.

The chap said that the order had been placed and that was that!

I then got a bill through for £36! When I sat and looked at the bill, it was for broad band only. I then had a call from the other provider who I had cancelled with to say that BT had contacted them to swap, and had I authorised this,, I said yes I had. I thought that it maybe took a little time for the phone to be swapped. I rang BT to double check the situation, I was told that only the broad band had been taken over, and to resolve this that a new account would have to be set up to get the originally quoted bundle. No problem I said. When this was put through I was told that there was a £50 connection fee. I said that I wasnt prepared to pay this as it wasnt part of the original deal that I had been offered. Ok they said, hold on whilst I speak to someone. They came back and said no problem, we can do it without the £50 connection charge. Instead we need a £50 deposit that will be returned at some point because of the outstanding balance on the old account.

I explained that I had been promised a deal with calls and broadband for under £25, and that I was more than happy to pay the portion of this price that represented the broadband that I had indeed used for that period of time. I was told that this wasnt good enough, and that the entire balance would have to be paid to clear this. At this point I had to get off of the phone to go to work. I said that I would ring back and sort this out.

Having thought about it for the afternoon, I thought it very unfair to have to pay £36 for a portion of a service that I had been promised for less than £25! I am more than happy to pay for what I have used, but it should be representitve of the £25 that I was quoted. I sent off a complaint email to BT explaining the situation, in fact it was very similar to this post so far, except that I asked that I should either get the service that I asked for and was promised, or that I should get a MAC code so that I could go else where on account of being rather miffed about being messed about and being asked for £50 for a mistake that BT had made.

I heard nothing back for about 2 weeks. I thought that sending this request and all of the details to the complaints department would be better than calling customer services again and being passed from pillar to post all day, but I still havent had a reply. I cancelled the direct debit as I was not willing to pay £36 for half of a £25 package. This got a response!! A lady called me from the payment department on bank holiday monday of all days and asked why I had dont this and if I was going to pay. I said no I wasnt going to pay £36, and I explained the situation. She made notes ont he account and said that I should pay when my bill had been revised. No problem I thought, and off she went.

I tried to phone BT for 3 afternoone / evenings in a row, being put into some starnge loop of please enter the phone numebr that you wish to talk about etc,,, before being given another number to call before the message cut off (perfect because I always remember a number when it is fired at me like that) so after ringing again a few times, going through the what have you called for thing and actually writing the number down, I tried that number, to be re-directed to the same loop. I could not get through to a person! 3 evenings!

On the fourth evening I had an idea, when the message asked what I had called for, I said that I was leaving... guess what.. I got through! Maybe it was a glitch on the phone system, or a mistake on my part, but it seemed very odd! Anyway, I then explained the situation yet again, and Iasked for a MAC code yet again, as I was far from happy. the lady said no problem, put me on hold (Ive been on hold for hours over the course of this), and came back and told me that a MAC code could not be generated on account of the outstanding £36. I yet again said that I was not going to pay this and I would pay for the proportion of the broad band from the original £25 combined deal. She replied by saying that I could pay just £25 and that this would be ok, but I said no,,, I would pay £25 if I had been given BOTH broad band AND calls, and there fore I would only pay the protion of the £25 that represented the broad band. From here it gets even messier. Do BT have an over seas billing department? All of the next people that I spoke to through out the day could hardly speak English and communicating was a big issue, this is not their fault of course, but my god it made things difficult. I yet again explained the situation to the chap who was meant to be able to alter the bill for me and get it wiped off of the account in order for either a new account to be produced with the £25 bundle, or to produce a MAC code, but after a few moments the line went dead! I am not sure if he hung up or if it was a genuine mistake, but yet again it seems very odd! Anyway, at this point I yet again had to go to work. At this point I was informed that the internet had gone off at home!

When I got back from work I phoned yet again, and of course had to explain the situation, and I again demanded a MAC code. I was yet again transferred to a chap who this time could not understand me as much as I could not understand him who should yet again be able to alter the bill. I AGAIN explained the situation in great detail. He looked through the bill and said that there were no charges on there that were not accountable for,,, to which I replied except that the total bill should only be £25,,, but this is for a combined deal he said, you only have braod band,,,, I know I replied, but that is your fault, I ordered and was promised the bundle. On hold again,,, and then he came back and asked if his manager might be able to call me back. I said yes, and made sure that he had my mobile number as I would be out and about. He read it back to me and said that the manager should call in an hour or 2. This was at about 2pm,,, it is now 1am the following morning.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Totally lost, need a mac, dont know if Im posting in the right place. Help

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.

They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are a UK based team of people, who take personal ownership of your problem.

Once you get a reply, make sure that you are logged into the forum, then click on their name, you will see a screen like this. Click on the link as shown below.
Please do not send them a personal message, as they cannot deal with service issues that way.

For your own security, do not post any personal details, on this forum. That includes any tracking number you are give.

They will respond either by phone or e-mail, when its your turn in the queue.
Please use the tracked e-mail, to reply, not via the forum. Thanks

modpicture.jpg

This is the form you should see when you click on the link. If you do not see this form, then you have selected the wrong link.
When you submit the form, you will receive an enquiry number, so please keep a note of it

Image2.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Hi imleaving,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum!

Sorry that you've been billed a higher amount than what was originally agreed when you decided to renew your contract.  I completely understand that you had decided to move elsewhere and you only changed your mind when you were offered the same price to keep your services with us.

It's really disappointing to read that you've had to speak with so many people and that this has been going on for so long.  No need to worry as we'll pick this up and get this sorted out.  Click on my username and under the "about me" section of my profile you'll see the link to get in touch with us.

Thanks,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Tony-gbr
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

If you switch to fibre I don't think you will need a Mac code. I know on broadband that Mac thing was a pain but on fibre I moved from talk talk to BT after a few months all went smooth with no Mac codes. I don't know if jumping from broadband to fibre will skip needing a Mac code but fibre is easier to switch around as its all automated and quick. Just an idea anyway.
0 Ratings
imleaving
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Im just glad that Im getting somewhere. I will follow the instructions on the first 2 replies. Thanks again, I thought I was going mad whilst trying to phone.

0 Ratings