cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Transferring phone away from BT

Hi, I applied to Plusnet 22 July to move broadband from o2 and phone from BT to Plusnet. Broadband moved 8 Aug and phone 22 Aug. I have received only now (28 Aug) a letter from BT to say they have been informed I want to move the phone away and the service will stop on 22 Aug unless I hear from them. All far too late of course - this being the only contact from BT.

But my main gripe is that the letter says I will be charged 30 day rental liability charge as BT say in T&Cs that they need 30 days notice, so I'll need to pay. The terms at www.bt.com/terms that they quote, when I looked, say if I move to another provider the notice is 14 days and Plusnet requested the move on 8 Aug, which I make 14 days. So something seems wrong. Can anyone help please?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: Transferring phone away from BT

Your link is to the business T&C. If you're a business user, the business forum is appropriate place for your query.

The residential T&C say a bit more than you've quoted in that you need to transfer through an approved process for the 14 days notice to apply. I'm not sure offhand what constitutes an approved process for a telephone line, but it might be a bit more than just expecting the new provider to do it for you; you'll need to ask BT if no one else comes up with an answer here. A quick call to BT on 22 July would have protected your £7.73.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
reg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

@pottyperson wrote:

Your link is to the business T&C. If you're a business user, the business forum is appropriate place for your query.

The residential T&C say a bit more than you've quoted in that you need to transfer through an approved process for the 14 days notice to apply. I'm not sure offhand what constitutes an approved process for a telephone line, but it might be a bit more than just expecting the new provider to do it for you; you'll need to ask BT if no one else comes up with an answer here. A quick call to BT on 22 July would have protected your £7.73.

Is residential and thanks you are right that I was looking at the Business part of the terms, but having now seen what you mention for the residential side, I can see the 14 days and approved process.

I called BT a few minutes ago and having started in UK then India, ten back to UK, I was told by a lady in Glasgow, that this rental liability only applies if still in contract - and we are not. She said I would get a final bill and a refund for line rental paid (we payed quarterly) and there will be no 14 or 30 day liability. The transfer initiation is by the new provider (that happened on 8 Aug) and that I would get a cheque for what's owed! Would have thought they use the existing DD, but hey I don't mind as long as there's no charge. Won't beleive it until I see the bill though!

0 Ratings
reg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Just to conclude this thread, I have not got a final bill from BT which includes nearly 2 months line rental refund to be credited to my bank account. No line rental liability charge Smiley Happy

0 Ratings