Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Callum84
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Tricked into new contract?

Go to solution
My contract was up for Infinity 2 around 6 months ago.

With the rising costs I decided to sign up with Plusnet.
£200 line rental up front then £12 a month for top fibre package. Also with £107 cashback via topcashback.

Shortly after I received a text from BT saying my line rental was being transfered but not the broadband. I called the number in the text to enquire and was offered the following deal to stay with BT.

£207 upfront for line rental and free Infinity 2, 2 year contract. I said I would have a think and get back.
30 mins after the call I sent an email to the address I was given saying I would like to take up that offer.
Received a reply Id be phoned that day.

Next day comes with no phone call and I receive a text from BT thanking me for my order. Login and see my service is moving to Infinity 1 and im recontracted for 24 months.

I emailed the person I spoke to who said the text was a mistake and they would call me.
Turns out the original offer had now expired and Infinity 2 would now be £16 per month but was offered BT sport free for 18 months.

I agreed to this and though that was end of it.

2 days on my service has been reduced to infinty 1 and recontracted for 24 months. No BT sport and i have no idea how much Im actually going to be paying. No other orders showing and no confirmations.

This is definately not what I signed up to.

Really wish I'd just it transfer to Plusnet.

What are my options here? Feel a bit like Ive been conned.
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Tricked into new contract?

Go to solution

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @Callum84 Sorry you have not been put on the agreed deal. 

We will be happy to help you with this if you send us your details. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

0 Ratings
Callum84
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution
Thanks for your responses.

I had contacted the mods but this has been resolved in the meantime.

Guess system is just very slow in updating sometimes.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

That's great news @Callum84.

Thanks for coming back and letting us know.

All the best,

DanielS

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Tricked more like scamed,

Go to solution

Nothing more than money grabbing

They phoned me telling me my FREE number recognition needed renewing so its free, so why not

Then nice lady who i just couldn't understand, tried to get me my FREE service

It was so bad if she asked me if i was jack the ripper i would have probably said yes

Next thing i know i am on 18 months contract for phone and broadband

Now that's no better than the scammers  everyone are trying to avoid

BT used to be a respectable company, whats changed, this is so WRONG

Nobody should be allowed to do business this way

If this isn't illegal it should be

will pester every minister in the government  to try and stop this appalling way of doing things

its just so wrong

Mrjjones

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 9

Re: Tricked more like scamed,

Go to solution

Very similar to my recent experience in trying to renew my line rental saver

https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/Online-Line-renta-saver-con/m-p/1913752#M62245%2Fjump-to%2Ffirs...

If I hadn’t been switched on could easily have just clicked on continue and been signed up for another 18 month contract. It’s all a bit sneaky.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

I'm an old man now, and in my day tricks like this were illegal not sneaky

why wont  someone step up and stop them, its just not right

Jim

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

@Shirleybathers Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.  I'm really sorry you have cause to complain, the free caller display offer used to require a renewal of your line rental contract for a further 12 months to continue getting the service free of charge and this should always be made clear to the customer when the order is being placed. 

Did this happen recently as that offer is no longer applicable and as you've also mentioned broadband and 18 month contract it sounds more like a package contract renewal, did you get a monthly discount as a result of the new contract being added?

Regardless of what has been ordered anytime a contract is renewed we are should always make this clear to the customer when the order is being placed. I've sent you a private message explaining how you can contact the forum moderators if you would like any help with this.

Thanks
Neil

0 Ratings