cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KatyD
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Trying to leave BT Broadband but stuck in renewed contract - but we didn’t renew?

Hello, 

(Hopefully I’m in the right place, apologies if I get something wrong I’m new).

I’ve been with BT phone line forever and joined BT Broadband a while ago but can’t remember exactly when, in the last few years.

I’ve tried to move broadband to Sky (mostly as it’s cheaper to have both tv & broadband together) but got an email from BT saying I’ll owe them over £400 to leave!

According to them I renewed my contract with them in August 2019 for another 18months, but I didn’t.

To make it harder they won’t deal with me as my husband is the named account holder (grr).

He didn’t renew it either as he doesn’t really get involved with domestic stuff.

How do I manage this? It will save us money to move but obviously not if I have to pay such a big fine.

Thanks for reading and hopefully helping, Katy

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Trying to leave BT Broadband but stuck in renewed contract - but we didn’t renew?

you can phone customer services and then get your husband to appoint you as an administrator of the account and then you can discuss the account.  If you made changes to your package in August then that would result in a new contract  you should be able to check your orders in MYBT.  you or your husband should also have received and email from BT with any changes agreed

to switch provider all you do is notify the new provider and they will take it from their but you have a problem with the cancellation fees

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

Re: Trying to leave BT Broadband but stuck in renewed contract - but we didn’t renew?

If you or your husband can access MyBT, you can get a list of orders, as that may help you locate when you renewed your contract.

Sometimes renewing part of your package, or asking for an upgraded home hub, will automatically renew your broadband contract.

How to view your contract terms

First of all you need to go to this page. https://www.bt.com/appsordermgmt/secure/listoforders.do
Then select the order that you wish to view, and on the top right there will be a link saying "Show contract terms"

0 Ratings
KatyD
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

Thanks both,

I have looked up my orders and it says that I ordered a ‘regrade of broadband and phone’ on Aug 21 2019.

only thing is neither of us remember doing anything like this.

I’ve got the feeling I’m trapped and have no way out which is super annoying having finally gotten round to researching and doing something about making one bill cheaper. Sigh.

I did read somewhere on this site I think about possible price changes in January and that might allow people to leave even in contract, is that true?

thanks again for the replies.

0 Ratings
KatyD
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

I can see the order but can’t see anywhere that says Contract Terms?

0 Ratings
KatyD
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

Ignore that, I’ve found it. 18months from Aug 2019 which is just ages,

I must have done something in August that counted as starting a new contract but it didn’t register with me at the time.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Do you get your TV service from BT or Sky?

As for the regrade, did you upgrade your broadband package in any way, in August?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

if you renewed your contract in august 2019 there is an annual price increase set as part of T&C  so there is not the 'get out' as previously existed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
KatyD
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

Tv is from Sky.

I don’t recall doing anything about the broadband in August but I guess I must have done.
0 Ratings
KatyD
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

That’s annoying!
0 Ratings