cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SuperFlyGuy
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Trying to re-contract on a different Fibre broadband package online.

I've been looking at different Fibre broadband packages as we're currently paying too much.  We're out of contract with BT and there are some good deals showing if I re-contract for 18 months.

I've logged into my BT account and so when following the links to place the order, the system must know that I'm already a BT Fibre customer, but when I get to the final page where I choose the broadband and landline package, it shows a Fibre activation fee of £49.00.

The deal I've seen is Superfast Fibre - Average Speed 50Mb - £35.99 per month for 18 months then changing to £43.99 (which is still cheaper than we're currently paying).  It also includes a "Free" smart hub with a £9.99 P+P fee.  It's also advertising a free Amazon Echo.

Most times when I click on the links, I get an error page, but on the one occassion I did get through, I saw this activation fee. 

Can any of the BT staff on this forum explain to me why I'd be charged a fibre activation fee when we've been a fibre customer for as long as I can remember.

It's also frustrating that when I ring 150, they can't see these deals so I can't then accept the deal over the phone which makes me think that these deals maybe only exist for new customers.  If this is the case, why is it offering me them when I log into my account?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Trying to re-contract on a different Fibre broadband package online.

your assumption is correct and the deals you see advertised are for new customers only hence why you cannot order  you can try options team on 0800800030 and see if you can negotiate a good deal to renew   if not then move to another ISP and get good deal as new customer

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 3 of 5

The deal you're quoting is a new customer deal, which is why it's adding setup costs, you'd also lose your current ohone number this route, along with any email addresses and cloud storage.

As an existing customer your deals are different, they don't include activation fees for one, try the following :

1- login at www.bt.com/mybt

2- On the MyBT home page at the top is a banner stating 'Great deals for being with BT' - click the 'see offers' button.

3- Review the packages and offers, choose any that appeal to you and place the order.

SuperFlyGuy
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

That's the thing.  This is exactly what I did.  I logged into my account and clicked on a link that said something like "discounts/deals for you".  This is when I saw the deal that I thought I could switch to.  It even gave my address at the top of the page so I know I was logged in.

Since I tried this, this morning, I've just logged in again this evening and low and behold, when I now click on the same link, it gives me 1 deal at £59.99.

It seems to me that BT's web site is flaky at best, but I guess that's a discussion for another time.

Time to ring BT's "retention" department and see what they say.  I have no need for a new router (I purchased my own a few weeks after having BT Fibre installed), I have no need for wi-fi discs as I get excellent coverage around the house.  I have no need for an emergency 4G modem to be sent out in the event of no broadband as I have 10GB data on my mobile phone package (not with BT).  I have no need for an Amazon Echo.  All I want is to be paying less that the £61.00 per month I'm currently paying.

If they don't offer me something close to the deal, then I'll look to switch to another ISP.  We have Sky TV and whilst I'd be locked into using their modem/router, i'd be saving around £35-£40 per month.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

If you decide to change ISP then check your cabinet is not full otherwise you will lose your connection and join the waiting list. Your connection is not transferred

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings