cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hughes278
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Two direct debits... what do I do?

I have received a final bill for a bt account I didn't know was against my address.

i queried it with bt and found it was a second direct debit that was being paid, and had been paid for several years, and this was for a landline that wasn't mine.  I asked for a refund, as it was approx £25 a month and they offered £170.   The two don't seem to add up, even for my basic maths skills.

what should I be entitled to?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: Two direct debits... what do I do?

I would say up to 6 years in England or Wales, 5 in Scotland.  Anything before that is statute barred.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

Request the money back via the Direct Debit guarantee scheme through your bank and then take up the dispute with BT.

How do you not know what payments are going out of your bank though?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Hughes278
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

BT called me again, offered a 6 month refund and desperately tried to make out they were doing me a favour, and this is despite knowing full well the mysterious landline was showing no calls incoming or outgoing for the entire period, and wasn't an active line.

bank sorted this out, the payments started coming out october 2015 so they refunded the full amount, whiich turned out to be about £250.

In the end BT were shocking, arguing over less than a hundred quid, despite admitting they were in the wrong..  I'd love to know what their senior management are telling their call operators, this sort of poor service is why people jump to other providers

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

did the second DD not show up on your bank account I cannot understand how you did not peck this problem earlier
0 Ratings
Hughes278
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

After doing what I thought was the correct action, I've now received a final payment bill from BT for over £300.

This is from their debt recovery unit.

What do I do with this?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 10

Make a formal complaint http://www.btplc.com/Thegroup/RegulatoryandPublicaffairs/Codeofpractice/CustomerComplaintsCode/Compl...

Make sure it is recorded as a formal complaint, and that you get a reference number for it.

BT have 8 weeks to resolve the complaint.  If they cannot or do not resolve the complaint within that time, you go to the Ombudsman.

Hughes278
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

it's very stressful to receive a letter like this. i really don't have a lot of money and when bt have admitted they were wrong but still pursue me for even more money, it just says everything about corporate greed.

thankfully i'm not vulnerable and scared into paying, i wonder how many others aren't so fortunate.

thank you for your advice.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Hi @Hughes278 Do you know if your complaint is still open and escalated to the next level when you declined the 6 months refund?

If your not sure what is happening then send us your details by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods and we will be happy to help you.

Thanks
John

0 Ratings
Hughes278
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

I've contacted you as suggested, please help me out of this nightmare.

-------

Just to re-iterate all of this.

I received a final bill addressed to my property for a BT account number and a phone number i didn't recgonise

A second direct debit had been "activated" against my bank account for a period of 10 months to pay for this non-existent phone number.  This had the same reference on my bank statement, simply "BT Group PLC" so was easily missed from the real direct debit I had with BT.

I contacted BT, who admitted the phone was never activated and they were in error but would only offer me a partial refund.

I contacted my bank and they confirmed I was entitled to a full refund.

I contacted BT again to explain this and they refused to give me a full refund.

I contacted my bank again and got a full refund.

I now have a letter from moorcroft debt recovery limited for over £400 to claim the money back. 

0 Ratings