cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
flytothemoon
Contributor
Message 1 of 24

URGENT - Received Bill Notification from btcomms@info.bt.com showing account number - legit or fake?

Go to solution

Received Bill Notification from btcomms@info.bt.com showing account number - legit or fake?

As above I received my notification this month with a different email, I hovered the mous over it and it showed as btcomms@info.bt.com, however I am a little concerned as it showed my account number at the top of the notification, all usual bills notifications have always come from no-reply@bt.com, and have only shown last 3 digits of my account number.

Earlier in the year there was an issue for a month or two receiving email notification for bills, I posted on here and others had experienced the same issue, they corrected themself in March.  However, this month the bill notification was sent on the usual calendar day but with the above info.

Many thanks

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 24

Re: URGENT - Received Bill Notification from btcomms@info.bt.com showing account number - legit or f

Go to solution

I received an email from the same address but I work in IT and one of the golden rules is never to click on links in emails so I never do. I use the MyBT app instead and this showed a new bill available to view on the same day I received the email. So to answer your question it is probably genuine but I still wouldn't click on the links, If you dont want to use the app then logon to www.bt.com and view your bill from there.

conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 24

Re: URGENT - Received Bill Notification from btcomms@info.bt.com showing account number - legit or f

Go to solution

I don't usually open the bill emails but mine is as the above but the account number on the heading starts with two numbers not letters  so that does make it suspicious. I haven't opened it fortunately.

Perhaps the MODS should look into this especially with my account number being incorrectly stated if the email is from BT. The numbers are 02 .   The actual bill shows the expected alpha numeric account number

Message 4 of 24

Go to solution

@conrad that's ok the ebill alert email is legit.  The 02 is interchangeable with GB on your account number. 

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
flytothemoon
Contributor
Message 5 of 24

Go to solution

Thanks for the tip, fortunately I used to work in IT and am quite techy too, but I thought I should just query this, I too never click on links in emails, check all updates are done every patch tuesday, and keep all software completely up to date, and run regular scans on my laptop, in fact I am OTT about security.

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
flytothemoon
Contributor
Message 6 of 24

Go to solution
Neil - thank you for confirming the email address is legit, it was just a different one from the usual that BT have used for the last few years, and it also showed my whole account number, where as usually each month it shows just the last 3 digits on the email - you can never be too careful - many thanks.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 24

BT Email offici Email address

Go to solution

Just had an Email in from  btcomms@info.bt.com.

I answered my own question was it spam and yes it was. When i right clicked the email address, the dropdown box  states. 

British Telecommunications
BT America
+44 800 800150

I am on BTyahoo mail but the worrying thing is that this is pertaining to be abourt my bill. It shows my correct BT acct in full which i know is wrong because it is shown in full instead  of only the last 4 digits, the rest are starred (*) out and my email is correct with alternative letters * out.

The only people I have given my BT acct  to was when I reported my BTmobile on 20/04/2018

So any idea who i can report this to as i suspect BTmobile is involved

Mike
Tags (2)
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 24

Re: BT Email offici Email address

Go to solution
should be title: BT Email official Email address btcomms spam
Mike
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 24

Go to solution

Just had the same email address btcomms and shows my full BT acct, normal BT Billing emails only show the last 4 digits and the first 4 **** . I suspect this is spam and connected to contact with BTmobile who I last gave my BT acct. to. a week ago.

Mike
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 24

Go to solution

@NeilO  

My post has been moved into this post as SOLVED but I disagree this is not solved

1/  btcomms@info.bt.com   is this a real email I don't think so  if you hover over the email address the dropdown box

states

--------------------------------

British Telecommunications
BT America
+44 800 800150
Mike
0 Ratings