cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stef232
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Unable to cancel bundle without £139 charge within first 10 hours of use !!!!

Go to solution
OK Folks please bare with me……

I ordered a BT TV & internet package with BT on the 17/04/19 with a connection date of the 9/05/19.

Wifi Router and Youview box only dispatched on the 07/05/19 for delivery on the 08/05/19 ( cutting it fine and no allowance for none delivery)

My delivery never arrived on the 08/05/19 ready for my connection the following day, I called BT and was informed the courier could not deliver due to not being able to find my address, everybody else finds me perfectly well, I called BT I asked why equipment was dispatched so close to connection dates as this leaves no room for manoeuvre if a shipping error occurs, they informed me another would be dispatched and would arrive 2 days after my connection date on the 10/05/19. So at midnight on the 08/05/19 Sky disconnect me leaving me with multiple smart home devices unable to function in my home, Thermostats , Lights, etc etc

Luckily my original order was delivered to the post office the following day (09/05/19) , nobody ever attempted to deliver to my home and i was unable to collect due to being at work but on the 10/05/19 my wife collected my router and box from the Post office whilst I was at work so that evening at 21:00hrs I began to install my equipment

Once installed it quickly became obvious that the TV part of our package was not going to live up to the hype - Poor menu system and with delays of approx 4 -5 seconds when flicking between channels we could clearly see that switching our TV supplier was a mistake.

I called 1st thing in the morning to only ask BT what it would cost me to keep the broadband and BT sports and was gobsmacked with the response......... I was informed that I was able to cancel the TV part of my package but would be charged £139 due to me breaking a separate contract I had entered with BT sports, I explained I had not entered a separate contract and that BT sports was part of the TV Entertainment package that I had selected when i placed my online order, I was also informed that not only did i have to pay £139 to cancel I was then unable to use BT sports that they were wanting to charge me for .

During this lengthy conversation I tried to explain that I was within my 14 day cancellation period and how could I be expected to return the equipment which is my right and then pay £139 for a BT Sports subscription which i was unable to use. ? BT were clearly not understanding that I had not chosen a separate BT sport subscription and that it was part of my package . I do understand that I chose to add sports on at £5 per month but this was no different to other options I was greeted with online when placing my order such as Free AMC , or opting in and out of HD channel add ons or choosing to be Ex directory , absolutely Nowhere was it made apparent or obvious that I was entering as so called separate binding subscription that would incur full payment or penalties to be paid if i chose to cancel my TV or internet package within the 14 days.

At the end of this call I agreed I would not be held to ransom by BT who are clearly misleading, extorting and scaring customers into either staying with BT or paying an upfront cost to leave a TV package deal within a 14 day period ( mine was only 10 hours into setting mine up ) and that i would now cancel everything with BT as it was shocking the tactics being used and how could I continue as a customer and pay for a service I could not use, I was then given a courier collection date for the equipment to be collected and informed this was my only was I was able to return my equipment.

Shortly after this call I received a cancellation email and a charge of £139 followed by another email informing me I could use Royal Mail to return the equipment or drop it off at my Local EE store. Due to me not wanting to stay in waiting for a potential failed collection I called BT back and enquired if I was eligible to drop the equipment off at an EE store as suggested in the email and informed i could.
Whilst on the same call the customer service agent asked me for a recap on why I was wishing to leave , as I explained the reasons she informed I was correct and that I was right to be able to cancel in my 14 days an that the BT sports was NOT a separate contract in my case, however she read my notes and then changed her mind and admitted she didn't know the policy and had to read it herself and then read it to me.

For the 3rd time on my 1st day of usage of my package I called again and requested I speak to the complaints team but was informed that due to a Deadlock complaint now being opened I would need to wait for the offline team to contact me to discuss my case, prior to this call I’d had time to read over the terms and conditions I’d received through email when placing my order, I found the following quote would support my claim and explained it to the agent but his response was that the computer says I have to pay £139 to cancel and that BT's legal team would have approved any small print in order to cover any challenges made from customers so this must be right , The “SMALL PRINT” quote reads as follows :-

“If you’ve taken a BT TV bolt-on (like BT TV Kids) or BT Sport (except as part of a BT TV package )you’ve agreed you want to be able to watch that immediately so you don’t have 14 days to change your mind. To cancel either of these services at any point , you’ll have to give us 30 days notice . And if they come with a minimum term, you may have to pay a charge for ending early. “

I explained that I had taken BT sport as part of a BT TV package , the fact that I ordered TV, Internet and phone all in one transaction and that sport is advertised as part of the entertainment package on BT’s home page and package bundles indicates my Sport is NOT a Bolt on , its NOT a separate subscription and to suggest otherwise is a clear miss selling tactic and contradicts my rights made to purchases online .

The 3rd call ended after the Customer service agent informed me he was powerless to make a decision on my cancellation.

I then began to read all the information I’d been emailed from BT and found conflicting statements all over their terms and condition leading to believe again that BT are using BT sports as a tactic to ensure customers are unable to cancel anything within the 14 day period without receiving hefty penalties - For example I refer to the 1st email I received from BT as soon as I’d purchased my online package which is headed “ The excitement starts soon” and the first paragraph reads

“ If you’re new to BT TV, you can start watching BT Sport when your BT TV starts. If you’ve already got BT TV, you should be able to watch BT Sport within 15 minutes. Read on to find out more about BT Sport and what you might need to do to watch it “

As this quote proves I was and am New to BT TV and I should be able to watch my BT sport when my TV package starts which was on my activation date of the 10/05/19 meaning that my package all starts on the same day and falls inline with my 14 days right to return or cancel goods , why would I return my equipment and pay a penalty fee for BT Sport when that only started on the day my subscription was activated and started ?

My findings may be unique to my circumstances but a quick search of the internet indicates this tactic and reference to BT sports and early termination charges is commonly used by BT resulting in most people being unable to leave their contracts early , mid term or within the 14 days due to the way they imply that BT sports is a seperate contract that has ZERO rights attached to it with ZERO ways for the customer to cancel without charge. If it was a separate contract then this should be sold as such and made clear at the point of sale but its not its part of the advertised TV packages / bundles.

I will not be held to ransom by BT over a their shambolic terms & misleading policies. My complaints will be forwarded to the the ombudsman if my FULL Contracted online purchase of my TV & internet package is not cancelled within the 14 day returns period as is my right as an online customer.

It’s a a shame that BT couldn’t put their efforts into retaining unhappy customers rather than threatening and scaring them with disproportionate, immoral and maybe unlawful exit fees. I was happy with my service and everything other than the TV box functions and I’m sure that treating me as a valued customer and offering a resolution and not threats of fees for requesting to leave would have made me think twice about my decision.

For those that have taken the time to read my post Thank you and I hope anyone else that reads my post takes comfort in knowing you are not alone in feeling cheated by BT.

I will of course keep people updated on my situation and any responses supplied by BT’s complaints team.
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
garybs29
Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: Unable to cancel bundle without £139 charge within first 10 hours of use !!!!

Go to solution

"Poor menu system and with delays of approx 4 -5 seconds when flicking between channels we could clearly see that switching our TV supplier was a mistake."

This doesn't sound right in my experience, did you speak to the faults team re the delay a sit should be changing a lot quicker than that

0 Ratings
stef232
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Re: Unable to cancel bundle without £139 charge within first 10 hours of use !!!!

Go to solution
Hi thanks for your reply.

No I didn’t get that far, as my 1st question to CS only a few hours into my usage resulted in me finding out that if I was to return any part of my Bundle they would charge me a £139 fee for a so called separate contract for the BT sport.
Since hearing that the only thing I wanted to resolve is not being exploited.

Hi have multiple TV formats, free view , smart TV’s , Apple TV , Netflix etc etc and I was a previous sky customer for nearly 20 years so I instantly new the menu was sub standard and the speed of switching channels was far from what I expected.

0 Ratings
garybs29
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

One thing, did you have BT sports via anothe rplatform previously or wa sit a new contract with the tv? If you had it previously that may be where thecharges are coming from as it was available already

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @stef232  welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. I'm sorry that you are to incur cancellation charges for the BT Sport service when you have cancelled your service within 14 days. I know that BT Sport on the App can be activated very quickly and that means you would be charged for cancellation of it. I would like to look into this further for you so I've sent you a Private message explaining how you can contact the forum moderation team. 
Check here: https://community.bt.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage.

Cheers
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
stef232
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

No i'm completley new to BT, I purchased TV the Bundle ,Phone and Internet all at the same time , The sports was advertised as inclusive of the BT Entertainment package.( its still advertised this way on thier packge home page)

I'd understand if I was a already a BT customer and chose to add sports at a later date but i'm only able to cancel part of the package within my 14 day return window, I'm unable to see how BT cnsider this lawful .

0 Ratings
garybs29
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Ok, that makes sense now. as I understand it that should be within the 14 days too so best to let the mods check further

0 Ratings
stef232
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

JohnC2

"I know that BT Sport on the App can be activated very quickly and that means you would be charged for cancellation of it." 

I understand BT sport can be accessed quickly it was mentioned in my first email from BT immidiatly after purchasing my "PACKAGE" from BT online.

"If you’re new to BT TV, you can start watching BT Sport when your BT TV starts"    conficting as my TV & brodband boxes didn't arrive until 3 weeks later meaning as a customer my package started the day I finally received my TV equipment and my broadband was activated ( 10 hours later I contacted BT to be told if i want to now cancel then i'll be charged £139 )

I'll refer to yet another conficting BT statement received as part of my package subsription:-   

"If you’ve taken a BT TV bolt-on (like BT TV Kids) or BT Sport (except as part of a BT TV package )you’ve agreed you want to be able to watch that immediately so you don’t have 14 days to change your mind. To cancel either of these services at any point , you’ll have to give us 30 days notice . And if they come with a minimum term, you may have to pay a charge for ending early. “

I purchased ALL my subsiptions at once and through a BT TV package. So how am I exempt from terminating my contract withing 14 days ??

I will take a look at your message now but 3 customer service agents have already failed to understand my rights, i'm assuming that with my account being in "Deadlock" you may be unable to assist. 

0 Ratings
stef232
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Exactly how I understand and read the terms - Its only BT that dont see this and I beleive this is a tactic that most customers would not challenge.

0 Ratings
stef232
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution
Update.

I received 2 separate calls yesterday from complaints teams.
Both teams agreed I should not pay the £139 charge with the 2nd caller stating that my case will be be discussed as it appears T&C’s are conflicting. They have left my complaint open until my final bill is generated and my termination is concluded.
Such a shame the 3 customer service agents I originally spoke to didn’t have the ability to understand my point, or were they just using scare tactics so I’d stay ?
0 Ratings