Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bowood1a
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Unable to change Direct Debit payment date

Go to solution

I've been trying to change the date on which my Direct Debit is 'taken' for about four months now.  I tried to do it online myself but kept getting the error message 'Please note that as you have recently changed the date on which your Direct Debit comes out you are unable to change it again at this point' but I have never done that online!

I've chatted online with BT representives twice now and each time was told it would be sorted but each time the immediate and subsequent bills were paid on the 'old' date.

Can anyone help please?  Thanks.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Unable to change Direct Debit payment date

Go to solution

Are you on the monthy payment plan, where you pay the same amount each month, or are you on monthly whole bill direct debit, where your bill may vary depending on usage?

0 Ratings
Bowood1a
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Hello Keith - I am on a monthly whole bill direct debit.  I have read old posts about this that suggest it's not possible to change the date on these payment plans but the BT help page and also the online chats I've had with BT suggest it can! Thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

@Bowood1a wrote:

Hello Keith - I am on a monthly whole bill direct debit.  I have read old posts about this that suggest it's not possible to change the date on these payment plans but the BT help page and also the online chats I've had with BT suggest it can! Thanks.

As you have found out, you cannot change the date as its tied to your billing date. You can only do that on the monthly payment plan.

0 Ratings
Bowood1a
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Keith - I've been chatting online to a representative this morning and he assures me that he has changed my monthly direct date from next month.  I was very clear that I was on a monthly whole bill direct debit and he was equally as clear in stating that he could and has changed the date!  Will know next month apparently...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

He has probably move you to a Monthly Payment Plan Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @Bowood1a Sorry you are getting conflicting information on whether you can change your payment date on whole bill direct debit.

I have checked and this is possible for some customers. If you are a BT Mobile customer it is not possible to change the date of the Direct Debit.

If you pay your bill every month or quarter by Direct Debit, and you're not a BT Mobile customer*, you can change the date of your payment online at My BT. Just log on at www.bt.com/managepayment > and go to Change When You Pay.

If you pay by Whole Bill Direct Debit be aware that when you change your payment date, your bill may look a bit more complicated than usual. This is because we'll also have to change the date when your bill is generated, and adjust your charges to make sure you’re still paying the right amount. For example, if you extend your payment date we'll have to charge you for the period between the end of your previous bill, and the start of your new bill period. This will result in an additional line on your bill.

*Unfortunately, BT Mobile customers can't change the date of their Direct Debit.

Cheers

John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Bowood1a
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Many thanks for your response John.  So, what about if you are both a BT AND BT Mobile customer? which is what I am!

Regards

James

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @Bowood1a If your mobile and broadband are on the same account then the payment date cannot be changed.

Thanks

John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Bowood1a
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for confirming this John.  It's a shame that other BT colleagues (ie the chat advisors I've been in touch with) dont know this as they've been giving out incorrect information!

0 Ratings