cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LongJohnAndy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Unable to order online

Hi, I'm attempting to switch to BT Broadband but when I go to the checkout I get a message telling me the security certificate is invalid and the page refuses to load.

The obvious solution is to pick up the phone and order what I'd like directly but I don't want to do that as I'm using a cashback site and will benefit financially by doing so. I can't email BT so I figured I'd raise the issue here. I've used Firefox, I've used IE and I've used my mobile as well as my laptop but It returns the same error every time. 

If anyone here is juiced in perhaps you'd be so kind as to have someone at BT take a look? Considering I'm after broadband as a brand new customer it's hardly a great start.

Cheers then. 

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: Unable to order online

It may be due to the way that the BT website is seeing the referral from the cashback site, perhaps there is something wrong there, maybe the cashback offer is no longer valid?

You should be able to order direct via BT.com, and take advantage of offers there.

https://www.bt.com/broadband/deals/

0 Ratings
LongJohnAndy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Hello buddy, thanks for the reply. 

I omitted to say that I'd tried a test purchase via BT. com, simply to see if it returned the same error and it did. Its linked to the https address (s being secure) there's an error in the code somewhere but I'm amazed that something like that is out there. I can only assume it has something to do with the way results are being returned, I really can't see that BT wouldn't notice something on their end. My reason for posting here is to highlight the issue in the hopes that it magically resolves!

The offers etc. apply to new customer orders via Top Cashback. I was able to raise a ticket with them originally but it's not at their end. I'm stumped! 

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 4 of 20

SSL certificate shows it's valid from September 2018 until 6th November 2019

0 Ratings
LongJohnAndy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Don't know what to tell you buddy, I'll take a look again tomorrow and I'll screenshot the result, assuming it's still happening. Cheers

0 Ratings
LongJohnAndy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 20

Well something has changed. I'm now getting this... 

Screenshot_20190912_064641_com.android.chrome.jpg

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 7 of 20

Try refreshing the page, I do see the HTTPS connection though, are you using wi-fi or mobile data ? can you try from another device ?

0 Ratings
LongJohnAndy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 20

Tried the refresh option and have also tried WiFi as well as mobile data (tried it whilst out and about earlier)

I've now spoken to someone at BT via the chat option, they said they would look into it, my breath is not held. 

To be honest, I'm getting bored of trying, I can get more or less the same via Sky (Inc cashback) and they have no issues. I'll try again on Friday then I'll ditch the idea. 

0 Ratings
LongJohnAndy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 20

Right... I've now cleared my history and cookies, I've ensured all trackers are set to allowed status (Important for the Cashback site) and have switched between using Microsoft Edge, Firefox and Bing. I've even connected via an Ethernet cable and the result is exactly the same. Every time I try to complete the package purchase I get an error message. I'm told there is no data being sent, there's a problem with the certificate or 'The secure connection failed' (see below)

I was hoping someone on here would have seen the issue before and would be able to suggest a way around it but it seems not, I really appreciate the people who have taken the time to respond though, thanks guys. 

Is there a way to email BT and ask for their help directly? I doubt a phone call to the call centre is going to fix this, and it needs to be resolved one way or another, it's either my issue or BT's but I'm now totally out of ideas and I'm no Internet duffer. I'm no genius but I know my way around websites and can't remember the last issue that stumped me like this has. BT make it close to impossible to contact them via email and I'm really out of ideas now, I could do with talking to someone at their end who can either fix the issue or who can see what's happening and tell me how to resolve it at my end, any ideas on how to get in touch with whoever the people are at BT? 

The cashback offers have expired now but they've been replaced by new ones so it's still financially beneficial to use the site. Switching to BT is worth £130 in cashback, which I obviously don't want to give up as it pays the exit fees from our previous suppliers, that's the reason I'm persisting with this, I can also add BT Sport via my Sky Box for the same price I'm currently paying for the mobile app (£10pm) but won't have to faff about streaming it. Joining BT is a win-win for me, but they're making it very hard to do! 

I won't add any more to this thread so unless someone else has any other ideas or knows how I can email BT's technical dept. so I can explain the issues I'm having via email, thank you and goodnight. 

scrn.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 20

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.