Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Patty-L
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 75

Unable to see broadband usage if on unlimited

Go to solution

I notice from today that if you are on  unlimited broadband usage  you are not able to view your usage on My BT.

In the FAQs it says :-

"Why can't I check my broadband usage any more?

We don't want our customers wasting time monitoring usage when there's no need to. Having unlimited broadband means you don't need to worry about your internet usage: you won't pay any usage charges no matter how much you use."

I for one would like to see my usage, if I want to "waste my time" checking that is my decision not BTs.  if I was using less than 10Gb a month I could downgrade at the next renewal of my contract, as it is now I will not know what I have used monthly, yes I could install an independant monitor but why should I have to.

P..Smiley Mad

74 REPLIES 74
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 75

Re: Unable to see broadband usage if on unlimited

Go to solution
Fully agree Patty
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 75

Go to solution

Good post Patty-L

Customer should always know what their usage usage is. Then they have an opportunity to downgarde. Obviously BT retail don't want their customers to cut into the profits tooooo much.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 75

Go to solution

Fully agree - it's my time to do with it what I want and what to track- not effing BTs decision.

The reason and action taken is fundamentally flawed as it is now impossible to use any information provided by BT to check if there has been any unauthorised usage - you can use NetWorx to compare your own devices but cannot then compare it to what was being recorded by BT.

On a different matter does this mean that BT aren't going to show phone calls if they are free under a calling plan - yes I am being sarcastic but the principle and criteria are exactly the same.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 5 of 75

Go to solution
Add my name to the list.

Stew
0 Ratings
Johnoo
Expert
Message 6 of 75

Go to solution

Agree completly, BT Please reinstate the Monitor, I as well want to look at my usage.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 75

Go to solution

I have to agree. The amount of account information that can be accessed online needs improving, not worsening for some customers.

They might argue that it's a strategy to reduce the use of the online monitor which will eventually be phased out once unlimited becomes the cheap standard. However it does seem much more like a strategy to discourage anyone from downgrading from an unlimited package to save money.

I wonder if the Customer Options Team will still be able to see the usage figures when discussing possible re-contracting offers with a customer? If so then maybe everyone on unlimited should now start phoning up the Customer Options Team every day just to check their usage figure. Smiley LOL 

vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 75

Go to solution

@Patty-L wrote:

I notice from today that if you are on  unlimited broadband usage  you are not able to view your usage on My BT.

In the FAQs it says :-

"Why can't I check my broadband usage any more?

We don't want our customers wasting time monitoring usage when there's no need to. Having unlimited broadband means you don't need to worry about your internet usage: you won't pay any usage charges no matter how much you use."

I for one would like to see my usage, if I want to "waste my time" checking that is my decision not BTs.  if I was using less than 10Gb a month I could downgrade at the next renewal of my contract, as it is now I will not know what I have used monthly, yes I could install an independant monitor but why should I have to.

P..Smiley Mad

From the beginning of January 2014 I have been able to get not only my usage for the Month so far but my usage per month for the last 12 months and the usage per day for the last 31 days. A snapshot is given below:Usag1.jpg

There is no good reason why this monitor should not be available to everyone.

Since the latest change this facility has been taken away. This is the monitor available internally to BT Staff so the information can be obtained by ringing BT.  If sufficient people ring BT might see the error of their ways and make the monitor available to everyone.

I suggest we all star Patty-l 's post so that BT see who all agree with her.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 75

Go to solution

Seems a retrograde step to me - the modern consumer expects information and to withdraw this without notification appears poor PR. In other utilities where measurements are available  annual statements are given about usage etc.

BT has for example focused a lot of PR on parental controls recently. Surely a basic check that a parent could do is monitor the household broadband usage to see whether large online usage is occuring.

The FAQ are in my opinion poorly constructed.

We don't want our customers wasting time monitoring usage when there's no need to.

Unfortunately this customer's time was then wasted by the 3rd FAQ about usage limits - as it is not relevant to me as I have unlimited broadband

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 10 of 75

Go to solution
It seems this is now only available under BT Parental Controls?

"Block inappropriate websites
Set limits for time online
Control social networking
Filter YouTube content
Review online usage reports and set up alerts"

Stew
0 Ratings