cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattpyle
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

Unable to sign up for Broadband

I moved to a new property on 10 February 2017, which is roughly 100metres away from my old property, where I had BT broadband from April 2015 - March 2016.

After waiting for around 1.5 weeks to make sure my new postcode was registered with all the services, I tried to order BT broadband.

On 27 February 2017, I placed an online order. The next day I received a text informing me the order was cancelled. I call the number in the text and was on for about an hour before my lunch break ended. I was told I'd get a call back within 2 days... I never did.

On 2 March 2017, I placed another online order. Nothing happened.

On 7 March 2017 I called BT again, they had no reference to the order even after giving the order number from my email confirmation. On this call I was told I needed to sign up for a phone line before I could sign up for broadband. Thought this was unusual that I couldn't do both, but went along with it. It's a 12 month contract for a phone line (which I would never use without broadband), but the gentleman said he would add a note saying I can cancel for free at anytime. Next available visit for a phone line is 28 March 2017, much longer than the usual 2 week wait!

Called again on 27 March 2017 to see if my address was found to add broadband yet. No such luck, wait until phone line is installed.

Come to 28 March 2017, engineer arrives early in the morning (perfect) and says he was at my new block of apartments the day before and the previous week, fitting phonelines and broadband. He fit the phoneline with no problem.

I call BT again, apparently I need to wait 48 hours for my phone line to be checked..... Even though it's there and working. The gentleman says he will call me back on 30 March, asked for a time, and we agreed 10am.

Come to 1pm on 30 March 2017 and no call. So I call up, to be on for another 20 minutes, and to be told there's a problem with my address and I need to wait another 24 hours.

I don't understand. I have a working phone line with a working number. I have neighbours in my apartment block (only 13 properties) with working broadband.

It is incredibly frustrating. I'm paying for a phoneline I can't/won't use, and I'm paying £26.99 for BT Sport where I could be getting it for free if I was signed up to BT broadband when I wanted to.

Now I'm sure I'll have another 7 day wait when I finally get a phonecall, and continue to see an extortionate phonebill for data.

If any of the mods can help, I would be really grateful. 

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Unable to sign up for Broadband

Welcome to this user forum.

Was it BT Infinity that you ordered?

Broadband tasks cannot be issued until all the phone tasks are completed.

Is your phone line now working, can you get dial tone?

0 Ratings
mattpyle
Beginner
Message 3 of 17

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the welcome.

I had originally ordered Infinity, but now I am trying to order copper as my address cannot receive Infinity (I moved about 100m from my previous property and connect to the same exchange which is actually only just over the road from me!). I'm not even allowed to place an order.

The phoneline has been working and had a dial tone since Tuesday.

Cheers

Matt

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

Now the phone line is active, the broadband task should be in the system. Can you see the order on MyBT?

There could be a weeks delay before the broadband task is completed.

In order to find out what services and speed that is available, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

0 Ratings
mattpyle
Beginner
Message 5 of 17

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, BT won't even accept my order for Broadband which makes it more frustrating as it just compounds my delay.

I was told I had to sign up for a phoneline first as the support agent was unable to tell me what speed I would get, he would then add broadband later.

I used the checker earlier and got this:

broadband.PNG       

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

It looks like you are too far from the exchange, but I will ask one of the moderators to take a closer look.

It does imply you should get 1Mb fixed rate.

0 Ratings
mattpyle
Beginner
Message 7 of 17

Hi Keith,

I can confirm I'm roughly 100metres away from the exchange; I can see it from my window....seriously. The OpenReach engineer confirmed it on Tuesday, and a previous engineer also told me at my previous property 2 years ago.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 17

@mattpyle wrote:

Hi Keith,

I can confirm I'm roughly 100metres away from the exchange; I can see it from my window....seriously. The OpenReach engineer confirmed it on Tuesday, and a previous engineer also told me at my previous property 2 years ago.

You might still be at the end of a long cable, as they do not run direct. It may run to a far point, then back to where you live.

A moderator should be able to see more information.

0 Ratings
mattpyle
Beginner
Message 9 of 17

From previous calls, I've been told it's a problem with me being a "bronze address" but I have a phone line installed.

At what times are the mods available please?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

Hi @mattpyle and welcome.

Sorry you're having problems getting the order placed. I'll be happy to take a look at this for you. Can you please drop me over an email with your details? You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings