Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vindictor
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 11

Unable to upgrade fibre broadband package

Hi there,

I'm wondering if a mod can help with this, and put me in contact with someone who can actually help?

I've been lucky enough to live somewhere with FTTP access for a long time.  The place I currently live has had FTTP since I moved in six and a half years ago, and I've had 330Mbps available since then.  Other people have had it over ten years.

Lovely.

But in this age of ever larger downloads, I've been waiting to upgrade.

For a few months the speed checker at broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL has told me that my line supports 1000/220.  Great!

When I visit the BT site, broadband products, it says "Great news  You could be doing more online with ultrafast Full Fibre 900"

When I try to order full fibre 900 I get this

"Sorry, the package you've selected isn't available. Please choose another from those shown below.

If Fibre options are not listed, you're not eligible for those packages.

Because you're already a BT broadband customer, the package you selected isn't available."

The last line caught my attention, so I asked my neighbour who's with a different ISP to see if he can begin the sign up procedure, and yes, he gets further than me, although of course he cancelled before actually going ahead with the order.

I've called BT multiple times, of course I have to speak to someone new each time, and I explain that the Wholesale checker shows my line can now support 1000/220 (previously it said I can get 330/50, which is indeed what I get) and they just say they can't do it "for some reason"

Last time I called, I explained that my neighbour can seemingly go further with the order, so the agent on the phone put me on hold to speak to his manager/supervisor/whoever.  After a while he came back and said that yes, there's an issue with my account, and it's been passed onto the relevant person and should take five working days.  Great, I thought.  Finally, I'll be able to upgrade.

We made an arrangement that he'd call me back on Tuesday of this week (6th July 2021) but the fact I'm writing this may have lead some of you to already guess that the return phone call never came.  I'm still waiting.

I've used this forum in the past and had a mod put me in touch with someone who will then remain on the case, rather than have to phone in and speak to a new agent each, and every time.... which as many will know, is frustrating!

I'm not having a fault, and I realise this is not high priority, but I'm just trying to upgrade my broadband... you'd think that would be easy, to give BT more money each month!

I'm guessing that actually Full Fibre 900 is not currently available here, for whatever reason, despite my already having a working 330/50 line via FTTP, and the BT website stating I can get Full Fibre 900.... and by the way, so too do other ISPs.  If I visit Zen and enter my address, it shows gigabit speeds available here.

So please, if there's a mod that can step in and put me in contact with someone who can either get my upgrade complete, or, maybe tell me what the issue is, and how long it might be?

I was going to paste a screenshot from the Wholesale checker.... actually I think I will.
Please find attached the results from the BT Wholesale availability checker.

Capture.PNG

It does sometimes vary.  For the last few months it's stated 1000/220 is available, except once, the day after last phone call with BT, it did change back to 330/50 for a short while, but then went back to showing 1000/220 available again.

Hoping someone can help!

Thanks.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Unable to upgrade fibre broadband package

try phoning the FTTP TEAM  08005874787 and see if they can help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Vindictor
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 11

OK, great, I didn't realise the FTTP team was still a thing.
I spoke to BT a while ago about something else, and when I called I asked to speak to the FTTP team and was told it had been disbanded because back when I signed up there were relatively few customers with fibre, and so we had a dedicated team. These days the normal sales / support teams deal with it. That's simply what I was told by a customer support agent.
So it's comforting to know the FTTP team are still there, and I'll give them a call on Monday and see what they say.
I'll report back here, if it's sorted, or if this is still ongoing.

Thanks.
0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 4 of 11

Hi @Vindictor  the FTTP will be able to sort this for you and do post back and let us know how you get on.

cheers
John

Vindictor
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 11

Hi there,

so I've just got off the phone with BT.

I tried the old FTTP team number, but it doesn't seem to put me through to the FTTP team (like it used to in the old days), I just get through to the electronic switchboard Press 1 for Broadband, Press 2 for BT TV or whatever.

So, I selected the option for upgrades, got put through to a new person and I explained what had happened.

He checked the notes for my previous call and saw that I'd tried to order the Fibre 900 package, and that a change was supposed to happen on my account that would take 5 working days, and that it should then work.

He told me that the highest package he can see available right now is 300Mbps, which is indeed what I'm on, and is what I see if I try to upgrade online, as per my original post.

He said he'd put me on hold and speak to his boss.  I was on hold for a few minutes, then I heard a click, beep beep beep, call dropped.

That's as far as I've got.

I guess that the Full Fibre 900 package really isn't available here, and that the BT Wholesale Checker is in error, stating for the past few months that 1000/220 is available.

Still, it would  be nice if I could speak to the same agent each time rather than have to start from scratch.

My thanks for any suggestions, but I guess I'll just have to try again in the future until it is finally available.

By the way, if I visit the BT website and try to view broadband products, this is what it says at the top of the screen,.

Capture.PNG

Thanks again,

Vin.

0 Ratings
Vindictor
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 11

Just out of interest, I thought I'd check another availability checker, in case the BT Wholesale one is misreporting.

I visited

openreach.com/fibre-broadband

It also says gigabit is available

Capture.PNG

Is it still possible for a mod here to put me in touch with someone at BT to help with this?

0 Ratings
Vindictor
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 11

Replying to myself again.

Just found this thread

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Unable-to-order-Fibre-900-ECI-issue-FTTP/td-p/2133666

Now that makes sense.  I believe we have ECI kit here, also.  Frustrating that in the many times I've tried to upgrade that noone has suggested this.  I've even brought it up myself in calls, that I have an ECI ONT, and possibly a bit of an older one because I went through a period of about two years with random line drops, and they kept replacing the ONT.  It turned out to be the line card in the exchange.

It's a shame that each time someone mentions that they want to upgrade to Full Fibre 900 that it isn't passed on to Openreach so that they know there are people ready and willing to upgrade.

Unfortunately there's no way for me to know when the upgrade may have taken place, because all checkers state that gigabit is already available here.  Well, unless BT/Openreach suddenly contact me to say the ONT needs changing.

Anyway, I assume this is also my issue.  I wish it was possible to pass this on to someone who can do something about it.  My guess is that it will be some years before the upgrade can be made, as why would they be in a rush to offer gigabit to customers who can already get 300Mbps (although it's the extra upstream that appealed to me).

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

other posters have no problems when phoning the FTTP team  08005874787  I suggest you try again and see if you get success like others

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Vindictor
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

When I tried, I mentioned to the customer service agent that I'd expected to get through to the FTTP team on this number.
His response was "which one, there are several" and went on to list one for faults, one for sales, and so on.

I mentioned previously that I'd been told that THE FTTP team had been disbanded some time ago, and that when I call in now (and provide my number to the electronic switchboard) that I'm automatically passed onto someone who can assist with fibre issues.
Again, this is just what I've been told by BT.
I will try the number now, again..... when I tried it earlier this morning and typed the number in, I realised it's the same number I used to call years ago for the FTTP team, as the name FTTP team came up on my phone display. I definitely typed it correctly.
If you call that 0800 number do you get put straight through to a customer service agent, or do you get the electronic switchboard?
For me, it made no difference calling that number, compared to calling 150.
I used my BT Mobile phone to call in, perhaps it works differently if I use that number directly from a landline. I'll try.
No, same thing. I get "Welcome to BT. If you're calling about your home phone or broadband, press 1" and so on.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

I'm just guessing here, but I suspect the FTTP team have a limited number of lines on that number and when they are all busy calls overflow to the main 150 system.

0 Ratings