cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fungalpis
Contributor
Message 1 of 44

Unbelievably bad BT service

I reported a line fault in October, which was subsequently fixed by an Engineer's visit. The fault was to the line outside the house, (before the master socket).  Broadband fault VOL051-*************.

I have since migrated to another supplier after the trouble BT has given me over the years.

Can you believe that the BT legacy of incompetance and my subsequent anguish has reared it's ugly head again?

Some robot had changed my billing to online without my consent, so no final bill in the post, but instead an email to my old email address confirming that all the fees and line rental that I had paid up front would be credited to my account - but wait a minute, they have levied a fee of £129.99 for the Engineer to have fixed their line fault.

Even more ridiculous is that since I am no longer a customer, they will not discuss the fault details or my bill either online or on the phone!

Even as a non customer they are ripping me off again!

Anyway, this seems to be the only place where things get resolved, so I thought it was worth a try.

0 Ratings
43 REPLIES 43
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 44

Re: Unbelievably bad BT service

If the line prior to thr master socket was damaged then you would have been charged for the visit.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
TheLurker
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 44

What caused the damage to the line?  Could you be held to be repsonsible for that damage?

0 Ratings
fungalpis
Contributor
Message 4 of 44

The line was damaged outside - before it came into the house. Apparently the cable or insulation had deteriorated through age.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 44

The charge would have been raised by Openreach, and passed to you via your new service provider, so it up to you to take up the issue with them, as you are no longer a customer of BT Retail.

This forum has nothing to do with Openreach, only BT Retail.

0 Ratings
fungalpis
Contributor
Message 6 of 44

Then please explain why BT have sent me a bill for the repair?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 44

Without knowing exactly what caused the damage outside, its difficult to say. Overgrown plants/bushes can damage external cable, and you would be charged.

If you had stayed with BT, then it would have been possible for the forum mods to read the field technicians logs, but I cannot see what you can do about it now.

0 Ratings
fungalpis
Contributor
Message 8 of 44

The fault was fixed while I was a BT customer about a month ago. The first I heard about any charges for fixing the fault was an email from BT today. So the problem I have is with BT Retail, which is why I am posting on this forum.

0 Ratings
fungalpis
Contributor
Message 9 of 44

No, no plants involved, just an old outside cable. Are you suggesting that they don't know what the problem was, so are trying to get me to pay for it? How could they raise a bill without knowing what it is for?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 44

Surely this dispute is between the OP and BT. He was a customer with BT at the time of the line fault, he report the fault to BT, they instigated the repair via Openreach, who we are constantly told do not communicate directly with Joe Public, and Openreach reported back directly to BT not the OP and it is BT who levied the charge.

It may have been in order to pay Openreach who ultimately received the monies but the OP's contract was with BT and it is up to them to resolve this not Openreach or the OP's new service provider.

I would suggest that a moderator should have a look at this and see if they can help and if not at least be able to give the OP an explanation as to why not.