Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blantyre15
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Unfair engineer charge and other annoying issues

Go to solution

Hello,

I am an extremely disgruntled customer and my complaints have fallen on deaf ears so far, so I thought I would try this forum?

We had very slow internet (below min guaranteed) so we called BT who said they’d send out and engineer and that could cost us something less than 100 pounds. So he came and in 5 min moved the router to another room (where the main socket was, apparently) and left. Bear in mind we did not install the router in the first place, as we had an engineer installing everything when we moved to our rented flat in June 18.

The engineer left without a word and a month or later we’re charged the infamous £129.99, because there were issues in the “home extension wiring”, except clearly their first engineer did not even check where he was plugging the router in.  Why should we pay for this lack of basic customer service?

Anyway, we wanted to contest this so we called BT up, asking for an explanation and for a letter in writing detailing what the issue was (so we could present it to our landlord in case). They said they would escalate the issue, send us a letter with their response and in the meantime freeze our account so that we could sort this out.

A month or so later we receive a threatening email from BT saying that we were late paying and that they would “restrict our services”.

We never received any response letter from them regarding the engineer charge and apparently nobody froze our account. It’s as if we never called them, so we had to even pay an extra charge to reconnect our line.

So now….

1: how does one contest the engineer fee in the first place and escalate the complaint? Clearly phoning them does NOTHING.

2: how can we complain our account was never frozen as the guy on the phone said so we had to pay extra fees?

Any feedback would be most welcome, thank you!!

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Unfair engineer charge and other annoying issues

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

If this was a new installation which did not reach the minimum speed, then the visit should have been free, provided you reported the problem right away.

This would need to be looked into by someone from BT.

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

did connecting router to master socket solve the problems you were having with the conenction?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
blantyre15
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution
Yes it did
0 Ratings
blantyre15
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution
Hi thanks for your reply.
Unfortunately it took us 2 or 3 months to report it because the internet was slow but it was still working. I mean, with the change of socket it went from 5mbps to 8 or 9mbps, so a barely noticeable change...
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

5mb to 9mb is 80% improvement so big change for your connection - maybe not for others but it is for you

just a pity you didn't find the forum before calling for engineer as that would have been the first suggestion

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
blantyre15
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
Oh yes at least now it reaches the min speed guaranteed! I just assumed the first engineer could tell main and secondary socket apart or that at least he would check them...
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @blantyre15

Thanks for posting, I'm sorry that you have found so many problems when trying to escalate a complaint.

Having looked at this thread it would seem that the engineer charges have correctly been raised as the fault did lie with your internal wiring, however I can have this looked at for you.

You have also had promises made to you that haven't been kept, we can investigate as well, as it resulted in even more extra charges being applied to your account.

I have sent you a private message with the details we require to investigate this for you, reply to this private message with the details and we will take it from there.

you can access your private messages from the link below:

https://community.bt.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Thanks

Stuart

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @blantyre15 I can see that the engineer charges team have been in touch yesterday evening and agreed to refund the charge. 

I have refunded the charges raised for the restrictions that were applied to the account today. Is this now resolved for you?

Cheers
John