cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 21

Re: Unfair engineer charges! Someone please help!

@gg30340 wrote:

You would only be charged by BT for any fault found within your property after the master socket. Anything prior to the master socket is up to Openreach to repair free of charge.

This seems to be an urban myth. And one perpetrated by BT's own support people and engineers.

I was told the same thing by BT's broadband support. When the engineer found a fault outside my premises, in a line that BT had installed many years ago, I got hit with a bill for £129.99.

You have been warned.

Note to gg30340 and others, perhaps we had better stop promulgating that false information and instead warn people of the horrid reality. BT will find any excuse to charge you for a visit.

0 Ratings
Lfaratro
Beginner
Message 12 of 21

The best thing is to contact the financial ombudsman, they will tell you to request a deadlock letter and then they will advise you if you have a case and they will investigate the matter. To be honest BT can do what they want it seems as its your word against theirs and if they say there's a report stating different to what the engineer said verbally than they go by the report and don't seem to listen to anything else. Hopefully if enough people complain to an outside body then they will get looked into!
0 Ratings
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 21

@ernie_c wrote:

The engineer is not a BT employee and has absolutely no right to speak on their behalf.

He works for a company, Openreach....

Openreach is a "BT Group business". So, the engineer is a BT employee. He just isn't an employee of the bit of BT that sells broadband services to customers.

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 21

@michaelkenward wrote:

@gg30340 wrote:

You would only be charged by BT for any fault found within your property after the master socket. Anything prior to the master socket is up to Openreach to repair free of charge.

This seems to be an urban myth. And one perpetrated by BT's own support people and engineers.

I was told the same thing by BT's broadband support. When the engineer found a fault outside my premises, in a line that BT had installed many years ago, I got hit with a bill for £129.99.

You have been warned.

Note to gg30340 and others, perhaps we had better stop promulgating that false information and instead warn people of the horrid reality. BT will find any excuse to charge you for a visit.

gg30340 is correct - it is not an urban myth.

However all Openreach charges are passed onto the ISP who then decides what to charge the user. Problems arise in interpreting the engineers report especially if there is inadequate analysis given. Should you need to dispute charges then complain to BT and if you get nowhere then post on this forum and the Mods would get involved - they will have access to all relevant reports etc.

How long ago did you get charged - the Mods may still offer to help

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 21

It would appear that the link posted by Keith   http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/c/ is what should be given to people as it does state that there are circumstances that you will be billed for problems out side your property but within the your boundary. However generally speaking what I said still stands.

You'll have to pay £129.99 if the engineer finds the problem is due to damage to the network outside your home within the boundary of your property. Some chargeable faults we've come across are caused by:

• Building work such as home extensions or the fitting of new windows
  • Damp
  • Guttering falling down
  • Tree damage
  • Flood or fire damage
  • Telephone wires that have been accidentally cut
  • Removal companies accidentally removing the phone line
0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 16 of 21

In other words, being practical, damage done/initiated ( by actions or inaction) by the householder or damage caused by 3rd party where the costs are recoverable under insurance / legal action by the householder.

0 Ratings
RickF
Message 17 of 21

UPDATE:  I had no choice but to call out an engineer for the fault I had.  Turns out that the original engineer who installed my broadband back in Sept 2103 put a faceplate on that was damaged and very sharp around the hole through which the wires passed through.  Of course, over time, this severed the wires and cut off my broadband and telephone service.  (The new engineer kindly gave me the faceplate and the hole is very sharp indeed!)  Now I'm going to be charged £129 by BT for the repair of the fault and installation of a new faceplate because their first engineer got it so horribly wrong to begin with.  How is this my fault, BT?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 21

Did you prove that it did not work at the test socket, before asking for a visit?

Unless there was movement, the wires would not have been severed, especially if it was behind the test socket, as that part cannot be removed without unscrewing the whole of the backplate as well, which is something the customer is not supposed to do.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 21

Hi RickF

Have you been advised that you will be charged, or has a charge already been raised?

Send us an email using the contact the mods link and we can look into this further for you.

Thanks

Stuart

Community ModeratorStuartH
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
fungalpis
Contributor
Message 20 of 21

Sympathy from me too, but even though it will take time and perseverance, you should keep on arguing your case.

I hope for your sake that this post is not deleted, because you should find the following information useful:

I have just been informed by the Ombudsman that the £130 charge levied on my account by BT for an Engineer's visit last September has been withdrawn. The circumstances were very similar to yours, with BT again refusing to look at photographic evidence that I offered to send. They set the Debt Collectors on me and inflicted as much misery as they could, by increasing the charge and refusing to discuss the matter further. When the Ombudsman put my case, they seem to have caved in and sent a refund. Even now, I have still had no explanation from BT or their Debt Collectors. Apparently, they must inform you of their position within a set time period. The guy from Ombudsman Services said that they had basically admitted guilt by choosing not to defend the case.

0 Ratings