Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 3

Unfair engineer's visit charge on a bill 4 months after the visit

Go to solution

Dear all, 

I know that this issue was discussed previously, and I hope mine would be resolved. I just made a complaint about it to BT. 

In November last year, I had two or three online chats with BT due to loss of the wifi signal and broadband. The phone line was working. The online agents tried a few things to check if the problem could be fixed remotely, but nothing was successful. They finally decided to book an engineer visit. 

In the online chat, the advisor said that if the problem was with the home wiring or damaged equipment (by a pet of building work), I will have to pay the charge on my NEXT BILL. 

The engineer found no fault in the wiring or the hub but diagnosed the problem as interference of wifi signals from nearby routers and that was causing the problems with my broadband. He did a network scanner and changed some frequencies of the wifi and the problem solved. 

Today, more than three months from the visit, I received a bill of £85 for that visit. The engineer never told me that the fault was in my equipment or that I have to pay for his visit. 

I would be very grateful if you think that this charge was correct? Is network issues the fault of the customer? As far as I am concerned, there was no fault in my equipment or wiring and I did have recoded chat sessions to show that I did everything I could to check for these simple errors before booking an engineer visit. 

Many thanks for your help. 

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Unfair engineer's visit charge on a bill 4 months after the visit

Go to solution

Openreach Engineers do not decide if the "fault" is chargeable. They submit a report of the work done and it is up to another department to decide if is chargeable.

Wireless interference is not something BT or Openreach can control nor is it a fault with Openreach equipment/line or the broadband signal being sent to your router so if the problem was wireless interference and the engineer solved it by changing channels on your router that would be chargeable.

This charge is made by Openreach in turn pass it on to BT who in turn pass it onto the customer. It is not unknown for BT to wave the charge when challenged by the customer but it is by no means certain that they will. 

You will need to wait to see what the out come of your complaint is.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 3

Re: Unfair engineer's visit charge on a bill 4 months after the visit

Go to solution

Thank you so much. I got in touch with the facebook page of BT on Sunday as I couldn't wait to call on Monday and they were brilliant.

They advised that since I had tried various fixes with the online agents which were unsuccessful, and that the engineer diagnosed the problem using special software to scan for errors, they would not expect me to know how to change these settings by myself. 

They, therefore, refunded the charge to me. 

I am so happy with this outcome. 

Thanks again. 

0 Ratings