cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
julie4001
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Upfront Line rental Scam and other issues.

Upfront Line rental Scam and other issues.

In July 2011 I signed up to B.t Option 1 initially paying line rental monthly. At the end of the first month I was informed that I had used more than my allowance of broadband. Again next month I was told the same.

Unhappilly I upgraded to Option 3 and also took out upfront yearly line rental in the hope of saving myself some money.

How wrong could I be.

For the last 16 months I have been charged monthly line rental ontop of the pre paid line rental, therefore doubling the monthly cost. I have tried contacting the billing dept numerous times and although they recognise the mistake and promise to rectify on the next bill,so far no joy.

Regarding the overusage of Broadband,I totally disagree with B.Ts figures. My usage monitor even increased at times when I was on holiday and even in hospital. At both times the router had been disconnected for the usual safety regime. I hardly ever download,watch little or no online tv etc and as I live alone can only assume my cats are regular users of these services!

Seriously I believe the so called overuse is a ploy by B.T. to get you to increase to a more expensive package. As the billing department clearly had no idea or even a care in the world, I wrote (as suggested on your help page) to Durham. Although I received an acknowledgement of my correspondance, that is as far as it has gone and that was 6months ago.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to solve this matter?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Upfront Line rental Scam and other issues.

Cats are notorious for online shopping. Of course it is a ploy, the usage monitor is being used to boost profits. Have a read of this thread to see what some customers think, then contact one of the mods on here, who are pretty good sometimes. 😉

http://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/BT-Broadband-Usage-monitor-LIES/td-p/318463/page/19

0 Ratings
geo1986
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

The problem with calling the call centres that they can only tell you what's on their screen, they can't do an investigation.

If you have paid twice for line rental your £175 down! Why not email the moderators on this website who do have the time to check through everyone one of your payments, then let us know if it was resolved?

As for that over usage thread, it's debatable. There's no actual post from someone who's seen there usage suddenly spike, just people who say it happened a while ago
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

If you would like to contact one of the UK based BT Care Team who moderate this forum, they should be able to help you with the line rental issue.

They can be contacted using this link BT Care Team

They normally respond by phone or e-mail, within three working days, however you should get an immediate confirmation, with a tracking number.

0 Ratings
MonicaJ
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

No ACTUALLY there is NO debate. The spikes are happening.

And fwiw I'm getting pretty fed up with you helpful regular forum users who refuse to believe us newbies. 

Lots of people are noticing them. Now here is someone reporting concern, when there is no-one else to blame but cats.

Once you have noticed a past problem, you can only watchout and wait for it to happen again. That is (I can assure you) very stressful. It means remembering to check the BT Usage monitor daily, keep evidence (screenprints) and compare daily to hub readings (or other monitor).

I've done that everyday through January, and YES there's been no re-occurance SO FAR. That does not mean that nothing went wrong previously. The bottom line is this level of monitoring - for a low internet usage household is unsustainable long term, so if these spikes occur only occationally, then there is little chance of ever tracking it down in real time.

BT gain - some customers lose.

0 Ratings
geo1986
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 8

Thats exactly what I said - people claiming it happened in the past and no evidence of re-occurance

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

It has never been the case of regular forum users not believing. A major difficulty lies with sorting an intermittant problem albeit affecting people to a varying degree.

At the end of the day if anyone has concrete evidence then you can 'stick it' to BT and no doubt the ensuing to and froing would be eagerly watched. Until that happens then users are stuck with monitoring their own situation as best they can.

As for the original poster hopefully she has contacted the mods. I would have personally chased a reply to any correspondence sent to BT on a weekly basis but that's just me.

0 Ratings
WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 8

Most of us know what the problem is, the usage monitor is not working half the time and BT staff are over estimating usage to compensate. As for concrete evidence, all you can show is your previous readings to back up your claim. Which is of no use to new customers as they will not have a record of usage going back far enough to be relied on. 

0 Ratings