cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Upgrade to Fibre Essential

Go to solution

Clarification please!

I am currently on Broadband Unlimited.   From the upgrades recommended for me, as a BT customer, I chose Fibre Essential.   I understood Fibre Essential to be FTTC and would not require an engineer to visit, just a new BT Smart Hub2.

However, an engineer is coming and I have received the EE Smart Hub SH20A!

FTTP is available in my area, does this now mean that Full Fibre is installed as standard, whatever the upgrade? 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Upgrade to Fibre Essential

Go to solution

I think that FTTC just requires an engineer to swap some wires over in your green cabinet nearby and your faster BB comes over the existing Copper wires using the same socket your ADSL is currently using and uses the  same Hub input plug RJ11.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Still don't understand why an engineer needs to visit to drill a hole and install fibre cable!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

If FTTP is available in your area it becomes the default network, so if you move provider , upgrade or simply re contract whatever you currently have , then the opportunity to get you onto  FTTP should be taken, so although you could be on FTTC and it can deliver whatever it is you want next  ( fibre essential in your case ) you may be moved to FTTP , if you , for whatever reason , have an objection to getting FTTP ( perhaps you live in a rental property and the landlord wouldn’t agree to a CSP on an external wall and an ONT being fitted inside the property , although it would  be a fatuous reason to object ) , then don’t upgrade or renew , just stay on an out of contract basis on the product you already have .

For the time being , there are no ‘forced’ migrations to FTTP , but new business ( and re contracting is new business ) can come with the requirement to have FTTP  .

Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Hi iniltous,

Yes, looks like they're moving me to FTTP.  Future Proofing, I suppose.  I wish they'd explain these things better!  I will go ahead.

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings