Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
GrahamSmith
Message 1 of 9

Upgrade to fibre after getting new BB contract

Go to solution

Hi everyone

First time posting here, so sincere apologies if I'm in the 'wrong place'.

Having moved to a new build property in July, we took out BT Broadband (with an estimated speed between 3-7.5Mb).  We did this as we knew our local cabinet was currently in the 'fibre build phase'.

Before taking out BB, I called BT and asked if we could upgrade once fibre was available even though we would have started the 18month BB contract, which they said "yes, no problem"

This was good news as the speed we're currently getting ranges between 0.9Mb and 1.2 Mb - not so great for steaming Postman Pat for an 18month old!

Great I thought, until today - when fibre was enabled in the cabinet. I 've contacted BT to upgrade. Only to be told that this would cost £52 for ~52Mb (they said, realistically ~44Mb). I guess the huge uplift is because I'm altering my agreed contract.

Dissapointing as 'new' customers get this service for £35..after a couple of conversations it turns out nothing can be done - I was more than happy to pay the £35 and move on with life - perhaps I was too naive and should have just held on until the cabinet was fibre enabled, but I didn't know how long this would be, and certainly wasn't expecting such poor/unusable speeds from the BB.

**Edited**

I expect the thought process is that I've committed to the 18 month contract, so it's just hard luck on my behalf....still I would have thought that customer loyalty and retention is a key component of their business strategy (given they have teams of people performing this role). Though I recognise I'm such a small fish in the BT ocean it's not really worth them worrying about this.

Unfortunatley, from my side of the fence it means that I'll never use BT again which I think is a real shame as this is effectively costing them very little in the short term and would have retained a loyal customer, who would have been happy to spread the 'good news message' !!

I just wanted to ask the community, is this usual?   I was more than happy to stay with BT for the £35/month, even though it's much more than their closest competitors. Just seems a crazy poilcy, and will drive customers away instead of driving loyalty.

Many Thanks

Graham

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Upgrade to fibre after getting new BB contract

Go to solution

Computer says no!

You could try the Options Team on 0800.800.030 and see if you can negotiated a better deal but you will not get the same as a "new" customer.

You may have got some sort of "new" customer deals when you started your present contract but as far as BT are concerned you are now not a "new" customer to BT so you do not get any "deals" that a new customer would get if you were to take out a new Fibre package.

If you do cancel and move to another ISP you will as you know be hit with cancellation fees and the cost of any equipment BT supplied.

As regards the speed you would get, if Vodafone are prepared to guarantee 55Mbps it is more than likely you will get that from BT as well because everything comes down the same line.

-Richie-
Expert
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

You took out a new customer deal for adsl and now you're looking to upgrade your package to fibre you want another new customer deal, even though you're not actually a new customer.

New customer deals come with setting up a new line with the broadband, you already have the line which is why the new customer deal isn't available for existing customers, you also ask for your loyalty to be taken into account but stated you joined in July, was it done as a home move because 2 months doesn't class as loyalty.

You can try calling again and explain your situation, it's worth a second try but you'll possibly be given the same answer, good luck I hope you find some solution that works for you.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Enter your phone number and post results remember delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

this will give range of connection speed and as BT & Vidaphone will use openreach connection the speed will be the same whichever you choose

like others have said as you only joined in July you are not a loyal customer for any length of time. However as @gg30340 options team and you may get a better price but not as good as a new customer

your cancellation charge will be high with 15 months of your contract to run but if you can cancel, move to new ISP and save £200 then move

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
GrahamSmith
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution
Thank you all for replying. Much appreciated.
Apologies, I neglected to mention that we were a BT customer for several years before we moved.
As you have all rightly highlighted, I’m no longer a ‘new’ customer. So sadly have little choice but to leave, can’t stay on ~1Mb (which is costing £25/month) and can’t justify such a bit uplift when all others are doing it for so so much less.
Vodafone and cessation charge it is ☹️

Again, thanks for all your replies.

Graham
0 Ratings
GrahamSmith
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution
Hi

Just thought I’d drop you an email, @gg30340

So, I called the options team as you suggested and outlined the full situation.
Gotta say the guy on the other end was extremely reasonable and after a couple of minutes consulting with the boss was able to offer me the same rate as a new customer.
In his mind it was bonkers that I could leave, pay a leavers fee and subscribe with a competitor and still save money over the term.
Really pleased with the result, and thank you so much for the suggestion.
Many Thanks,
Graham

PS, I will now refer to the guys as the ‘common sense’ team , not the ‘options’ team! 😀
0 Ratings
GrahamSmith
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
Thank you again
Graham
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

I presume that you did not get the money back cards etc that the new customers get but good to hear you got it resolved and are only paying the same as a new customer.

0 Ratings
GrahamSmith
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
Absolutely, no newbie benefits- but I wasn’t worried at all about that. I got a £50 card from my original BB package, so totally fair tbh.
0 Ratings