Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DavebyC
Contributor
Message 411 of 462

Re: Usage Monitor not updated since 23:59 01/01/2013

Go to solution

Could it be anything to do with BT moving from Yahoo to Critical Path?

"During the summer the BT Yahoo!  portal will close, but existing customers will still be able to access their BT Yahoo! Mail account by clicking on a link from BT.com. Later in the year, existing customers will be moved to BT Mail. Your inbox, including all your folders, will be moved over and you will keep the same email address, although you may be prompted to change your password.

BT has chosen a company called Critical Path to provide the BT Mail new email service."

Someone will know but, no doubt, nobody will tell us!

Why when you spell check BT.com does it suggest Bottom?!!!

0 Ratings
A1944
Expert
Message 412 of 462

Go to solution

@DavebyC wrote:

Could it be anything to do with BT moving from Yahoo to Critical Path?

I shouldn't think so.  The usage monitor has been very unreliable for many months now.

I finally managed to get a good reading out of it late this afternoon.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
A1944
Expert
Message 413 of 462

Go to solution

The new reading this morning seems to be a bit low. From my local measurements, I was expecting it to be about 0.46GB for the 24 hour period and it came back as 0.35.

0 Ratings
A1944
Expert
Message 414 of 462

Go to solution

It has gone odd again today.  It claims to have updated at 2359 last night (20/7/13) but the reading has not changed from the previous day's figure.

0 Ratings
iggyb
Contributor
Message 415 of 462

Go to solution

My Usage Monitor which was showing the date 20th but usage for 19th has now gone back to date 19th but has changed the usage to that for the 20th.

0 Ratings
A1944
Expert
Message 416 of 462

Go to solution

And I see that it has now been fully corrected (for me, anyway).

0 Ratings
grangeview7
Message 417 of 462

Go to solution

Hello. First and hopefully my last post.

Just a bit of info that might help others given BT refuses to divulge how they come up with their usage figures. For that reason alone I will be ending my relationship with BT in 11 month’s time.

I'm not questioning that the monitor is wrong nor any other observations people have made but just want to advise others of how BT I racked up 30Gb of usage in the first 20 days of being with BT Infinity with 40Gb limit, of which 20Gb was uploads when no one in the house (knowingly) posted anything to anywhere and no P2P sites.

Answers:

1.5Gb per day from laptop backups to employers network, Outlook synchronisation from laptop to employers mail server.

100Mb per day from iPad and iPhone Apple Cloud backups and light Facebook use (reading others posts, pictures and videos - no uploads)

How do I know this:

Tests done where only laptop in use one day and only iPad/iPhone in use the next.

Laptop tested this using a wifi dongle (so not using BT BB) and ShaPlus Bandwidth meter.

Laptop VPN connection to my employers network automatically starts a back up of the laptop and synchronisation of Outlook .pst file on laptop to Outlook.ost file on the email server. ShaPlus measured 1.5Gb uploaded in 1 day.

iPad and iPhone tested with free Broadband monitor app when laptop turned off. 100Mb verified using 3g connections and usage counts one day and BT BB connections and usage counts the next.

ShaPlus didn't match BT BB Monitor but was Mbs not Gbs different.

As well as fixing the BB monitor BT should stop telling people that P2P (Spotify, YouTube, etc) running in the background are the culprits and ask people if they know whether their devices are being backed up to a remote server or cloud.

Other very minor offenders include iPad iPhone apps that continue to run unless fully closed manually (double click home button and close by clicking red minus symbol) or fully power down (press and hold the power button, then swipe to power off).

Hope that helps.

0 Ratings
A1944
Expert
Message 418 of 462

Re: Usage Monitor not updated - November 2013

Go to solution

It seems this problem has reared its head again. 

The usage monitor should have updated about 24 hours ago to show the usage up to 2359 on 22/11/13.  The date has changed, but the usage figure is still that for the previous day. 

It is now time for it to update to show the figure for 2359 on 23/11/13.

0 Ratings
A1944
Expert
Message 419 of 462

Go to solution
The date has updated again to 23/11/13 with still no change to the usage figure.
0 Ratings
A1944
Expert
Message 420 of 462

Re: Usage Monitor not updated - November 2013

Go to solution

Again, the date has changed (this time to to 24th at 2359) but the usage figure is still that which was issued for the 21st at 2359.  Three days with no update.

Could one of the mods chase this up please.

0 Ratings