cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
legalexpert
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Waited Months for Reward Card to Arrive in Post; Never did, then told must claim within 3 months!

I waited months for the reward card that never arrived in the post.

No reminder email (in an age where email reminders are automated), no obviously highlighted key terms when you sign up for BT Broadband.

If BT is not sending me my reward card, I am definitely taking this up with the authorities.

www.asa.org.uk/rulings/british-telecommunications-plc-a17-390142.html

Yes, maybe BT's advertising standards are missing like this one. Should the Reward Card Claim Expiration Time Period  be a key term that needed extra attention when signing up to their splendid Broadband Package? I would imagine 10 out of 10 consumers will agree. It is said that the standards is that of the Man on the Omnibus or the passenger at Clapham Junction getting off the train. Perhaps 10 out of 10 consumers or 100 out of 100 consumers will agree that this practice is borderline deception.

I am hoping more people in my position are taking this up with the ASA, that is the Advertising Standards Agency, and take your time to speak to the Ombudsman and maybe Ofcom's complaint service.

Just because BT made up the rules and are capable of pointing their fingers at it later on, doesn't mean they are home free. For arguments sake, they could've hidden a term that you owe them 1000 pounds for cancellation! (Yes, I know penalty clauses are unenforceable under the law of England and Wales, but only if you take it up to the courts.)

The takeaway from this post is this: it is obvious that BT is using this tactic to avoid giving you the 'cashback' on your contract. Take the time to write to ASA and the Ombudsman, and maybe Ofcom too; Never underestimate the power of the people!

BT, please stop using your avatars in pointing out that where and where a small line of words that are almost hidden which basically says 'too bad, your fault for being irresponsible at reading all the fine prints beyond the fine prints that were under the contract you clicked onto'.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
-Richie-
Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Waited Months for Reward Card to Arrive in Post; Never did, then told must claim within 3 months

The terms are listed on the page you viewed the broadband packages, they state :

Gift Card

You must claim your Gift Card once your broadband is installed and you have 3 months from this date to claim. Claim your gift card by visiting bt.com/manage/bt-reward-card and logging in with your BT ID. You must activate the card within 3 months of receipt. Following a successful claim, your card will be sent to the broadband installation address.

You may not of read them but you did tick the box to confirm you have read and understand the terms and conditions.
I've asked a passing mod to step in, I hope you get the answer you're looking for 🙂

0 Ratings
legalexpert
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Re: Waited Months for Reward Card to Arrive in Post; Never did, then told must claim within 3 months

Was it in T&C? possibly yes like you said. Did i get a hard copy along with my package on subscription? Never.

Is it good practice by BT? Not at all; They don't even bother putting this information on the main page; Yes, you just told me to scroll down to the FAQ? I guess that's just another name for T&C.

Bona fide? Hardly.

When you look at a package and its monthly costs and that reward card, you would guess those are the main points amongst the boring T&C? Is it hard to add an extra line pointing out expiration date, or an asterisk redirecting to another fine point on the bottom? Not at all.

Hoodwinked customer is what I am;

Will I share this story with the regulators after I get my deadlock letter? You bet.

0 Ratings
legalexpert
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

https://www.bt.com/manage/bt-reward-card.html

Not bothered with telling customers 3 months expiration with an asterick?

Hiding it in FAQ?

Did you know my 1 million pound life insurance policy gave me an £100 M&S giftcard, for which I never had to 'claim'. It just arrived at my doorstep?

Are there case laws talking about reward cards etc? doing my research right now.

0 Ratings
legalexpert
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

https://web.archive.org/web/20181211113933/https://www.bt.com/broadband/deals

Moderator have a look, this was the week when I signed up to BT Broadband, if you scroll to the bottom to legal stuff, it only said BT reward card is issued by Blackhawk Network (UK) Ltd. There was no mention as a key term when it comes to redemption. Unfair Terms and Conditions as pursuant to Act of Parliament? Definitely; just in case you think your T&C would supersede an Act of Parliament aka Legislation? No
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Hi @legalexpert,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. 

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

0 Ratings
legalexpert
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

I have replied, and I hope I get my reward card.

If you are just going to point out how I am a failure at not reading the terms and conditions, please just send me the deadlock letter.

Highlighting key terms is part and parcel of providing terms and conditions that are fair; BT's practice of hiding a redemption period is intentionally deceptive and I will take this all the way up.

That's how Purduepharma went bankrupt in the USA, because they couldn't sooth angry consumers from the get-go.

0 Ratings
legalexpert
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Dear BT,

More than 48 hours from my first post, and far more hours after my chat with your support team I have still not heard back.

Two complaints that were suppose to be 'escalated' have not yet materialised.

Deadlock letter please.

0 Ratings