cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Waiting Seven Months For Broadband Connection

I ordered BT Full Fibre Broadband in August 2022.  Seven months later, I am still waiting to be connected and there is no sign of it happening any time soon.  BT blame a shortage of Openreach engineers yet neighbours in my road have been connected.  I have been complaining since September and have spoken to many BT operatives.  All apologise.  All are impotent.  All they have given me a 4g mini hub which only works intermittently.   I have been given appointments when Openreach were to attend but all were cancelled. Apparently, my case has been "escalated" to the highest level but still BT are just stringing me along with no progress.  I was assured compensation many times but now I am told this was a mistake and I am not entitled to any.  Ofcom were useless as they have no control over Openreach.  Has anyone else experienced similar delays?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Waiting Seven Months For Broadband Connection

have you been dealing with the FTTP TEAM 08005874787 as they are ones most likely to know what is happening

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for your response.  I just tried that number but "number is not recognised".  I am dealing with the Executive Customer Resolution Team by email - no phone number.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

sorry typo in number and have corrected.

if dealing with ELC then unlikely another area can help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Delays - Yes.   Ordered on 10th November and many, many cancelled appointments.  OpenReach may be a problem as they are short of staff but, persevere with BT on the 'track my order' phone line.  Ring every week!  Keep copies of every text, email and screenshots of your BT app progress on the order dates.  Eventually I did get connected, end Feb.,  and yes, compensation was paid, (you have to wait for 20 odd days before claiming).   I had all the evidence which was accepted by BT and amazed how easy it was to claim (by phone) and a large amount of money now sits as credit on my account.

Hopefully you will get connected soon and it is well worth the wait.

Granddad

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Thanks for your advice, Old Man.

Track My Order now is showing an Engineer Visit outside my property on 24th May and an engineer visit for Broadband on 5th June.

Apparently, because I have never actually been given an activation date, I am not entitled to compensation.  Can I ask how much compensation you received?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Enter you address here , and post the results, there is a section that gives the network survey results and type of installation envisaged, something like 

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG Feed with no anticipated issues.

If it identifies any issues , it should be noted , and also shows the install process, KCI2 signals a two stage install , if there is an indication of ‘issues’ then the date offered initially shouldn’t be contractual as it’s known there may be a problem, if ( for example ) excavation were needed and permissions required from third parties, then any delay because of this is out of OR’s control, so any compensation based on a delay for that , wouldn’t be justified.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Thank you for your advice.  The result is below in italics. Is seven month to clear a congested duct acceptable?

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG congested duct.

FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered.

The exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme

WLR is currently available at the exchange

SOADSL is not restricted at the exchange

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Without any context, it’s too simplistic to say 7 months to unblock a duct is acceptable or unacceptable, if it were a straightforward job , so the jointing chamber in the footpath containing the CBT has a duct directly to the house wall , and that duct is blocked somewhere under the person ordering service front garden , and they are not objecting to excavation or having unreasonable demands , like I want a whole new imprinted concrete driveway instead of a normal reinstatement , then 7 months is way too long .

TBH ,simple blocked ducts  are normally very quickly sorted, possibly with a week , but if the blocked duct were under someone else’s property, under a private access road for example , where the householders have a right to use this access , but the access ‘road’  remains the property of the landowner ( so not adopted by the local authority ) getting permission to dig could be an issue , and it’s also possible that permission is available but the landowner wants a unrealistic sum ££ , for allowing the excavation, in those circumstances OR , quite understandably won’t be held to ransom, If in your case there are no complications like this  then 7 months does seem an unreasonable amount of time.

As said , if it’s a KCI2 ( and it should be given the survey note ) the date can be moved , but obviously there is no benefit for OR pushing the date out for no reason, but if a third party is causing the delay , then unfortunately OR can’t necessarily make the person refusing access , provide permission , and alternative solutions may be required and that could take time

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Thanks Iniltous.

The chamber is on the pavement directly outside my house approximately 4 meters from my front wall with the connection box.  The channel will run under my flowerbed so no difficult excavation. No third party involved.

BT have stated that they will offer me a "small gesture of goodwill" such as a credit to my account or amending the packaging price but will only discuss this when the issue is resolved.   Why can't they tell me now so I can decide whether to continue waiting for BT or choose to switch to Virgin or Sky.

My BT app now says that an Engineer visit for external work is estimated for May 24th and an Engineer visit for Broadband (I presume connection) is booked for June 5th - over two months away.

I think it is shocking service and would certainly strongly discourage anyone from ordering broadband from BT.

0 Ratings