cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kip7777
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Want to downgrade broadband

We are currently at the end of our contract for BT Fibre 2 and wish to downgrade to BT Fibre 1. Of course the website is only recommending BT Halo which is the same cost as what we have now so that is no good. However, if I were to order Fibre 1, they want to charge us £9.99 P&P for an unknown Hub, yet we already have a Hub 6 that would be suitable since it was running Fibre 2 without issue. I don't wan't to pay £9.99 for a Hub we already have and I also don't want to pay £9.99 for a new Hub if the old one will continue to work fine.

I'd call BT but I don't want to sit on the phone for ages, probably being charged by the minute to wait for them to answer and I can't find any email addresses I can use to contact them... Why do they make getting in touch with them so damn difficult?

Anyway, our old contract has ended so I guess I need to do something, tempted to look elsewhere at this point since BT are so hard to contact. Does anyone have an email address for BT or a link to a web form or something that I can use to get in touch with them online? It is 2020 after all and I expect better from a large company like BT. I haven't been able to find anything myself.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Want to downgrade broadband

Call BT on 0800.800.030, which is free to call on a BT landline, and you should be able to negotiate a deal to renew your minimum term contract which will undoubtedly be better than any of the online offers that BT may make to you.

0 Ratings
California
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

I am in a very similar situation to you.

I cannot downgrade either.

Cannot find any e-mail addresses, online chat or application forms for downgrading.

I do not understand why they make  getting in touch with them so damn difficult either.

I need to downgrade too but I cannot find a way to do it.

0 Ratings
California
Contributor
Message 4 of 13

@gg30340wrote:

Call BT on 0800.800.030, which is free to call on a BT landline, and you should be able to negotiate a deal to renew your minimum term contract which will undoubtedly be better than any of the online offers that BT may make to you.

This is unacceptable.

I do not want to negotiate something that is already available out there. This is ridiculous.

They must be available online.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

@California wrote:

@gg30340wrote:

This is unacceptable.

I do not want to negotiate something that is already available out there. This is ridiculous.

They must be available online.

You are already in a contract with BT for one package. If you weren't your broadband wold have ceased  when the minimum term part of the contract ended. If you want to "downgrade" you will need to cancel the contract you are already in and then start a new contract. 

You can not cancel a BT contract on line so you will need to call BT in order to do this.

You don't need to negotiate if you don't want to. If you wish you can accept what ever cost they offer you!

California
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Could someone tell me how long I need to wait after the contract has ended and I have moved to another provider to come back again and become a new customer again?

Is there a period people have to wait to become a new customer again?

It's a shame that I have to go through this.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

If you move to another provider you will have to take out a contract with that provider and that will probably be for at least a year if not longer.

Far easier to phone the number you have been given.

0 Ratings
California
Contributor
Message 8 of 13

I see that there are monthly contracts available and there is also a satisfaction guarantee offer that allows to leave within 60 days if I am not satisfied with the new provider.

0 Ratings
California
Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Re: BT prices

BT always pushes me to do something more expensive.

Yes, the longer you are with BT the more expensive it is.

There is no option to downgrade. It is impossible to downgrade. Always only upgrades online.

No deals for loyal customers. I have not received any.

Good job BT for hiding good deals so good that they are not visible to me.

0 Ratings
garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 13

Re: BT prices

@Californiayou've already been told numerous times to phone & negotiate, the deals are there if you do that