cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Want to upgrade my broadband package but I don't want a 24 month contract

Good day!

I have been a customer with BT for 8 years. I would like to upgrade my broadband package, but the online option forces me into a 24 month contract. 

There is a strong possibility that I would be moving abroad within the next 24 months, so I do not want to enter a 24 month contract without knowing what the early termination fees are. I cannot find that information anywhere in the website or in the community forum. 

So I would like to know what the early termination fees are before committing to a 24 month contract, and also whether it is possible to upgrade my package without committing to a fix term contract. 

Thanks for the help and the information you can provide. 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Want to upgrade my broadband package but I don't want a 24 month contract

Ring the options team on 0800 800 030

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

So I rang the options team, and I was informed that the only way I could upgrade was to commit to a 24 month contract. I was also informed that once I've committed to the 24 month contract, if I wanted to terminate the contract early, all the remaining monthly charges for what is left of the contract would be due. So that is not really an early termination fee, it means if I upgrade I commit to pay 24 months of the upgraded service, no matter what. 

I am very disappointed to find that there are no other options available, and will start looking at what the competition has to offer. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

It's normally part of every month left that's the early termination fee not the full months charges. Also any provider will put you in a fixed term contract as well

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Well, that is what I would have expected but not what I was told. I fail to understand why there has to be this level of secrecy about it. 

A quick online search indicates that other providers have a choice of an 18 month contract, a 12 month contract, or even a monthly rolling contract, all with different pricing, which offers the flexibility I am looking for. 

It is sad to find that BT does not value the 8 years I've spent as a customer, and offers no options but a standard 24 month contract term for any upgrades. 

0 Ratings