cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

[What to do?] Terminate the BT Contract

Hi there,

I m the account holder of a Unlimited Broadband with BT Infinity 1.

My contract should term the 2nd of May 2017, but I will be moving out of my current flat on the 15th April and I can't move the current service to the new flat, for this reason I need to terminate the contract.

I have some questions.

1. Is there any notice I have to give in advance? If yes, when?
2. Will I be charged with a penalty if I terminate the contract before its original end date? If yes, how much?

3. What should I do with the equipement I got like the Access-Point/Router?

4. How can I actually terminate the contract? What options I have?

Thanks in advance. Any help here it's really appreaciated.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: [What to do?] Terminate the BT Contract

Welcome to this user forum.

First read this

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36061/kw/notice%20period/c/345,6375,7472

If you would like to try Live Chat they should be able to tell you the termination charges. There will also be a £31 broadband cease charge.

You will be charged for any supplied equipment if you have not completed your minimum term. You do not have to return it, but BT can send you a returns bag so it can be recycled.

See this page for contract termination info.

https://www.bt.com/help/home/contactus/index.html#collapse2

Why can`t you move your services to the new flat?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

If you are subject to the BT price rise in April you can cancel without penalty because of the rise. Call 0800800030 and tel them you want cancel because of the rise.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

how do I know if I am subjected to this?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

You should have been sent an email or letter. In any event I suspect you will be unless you have just started a contract. Call the number and they will be able to confirm.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Yes I am affected to. Just confirmed this with the Live Chat.

Do you also know if there is a deadline to opt-out and cancel the contract beacuse of the raise?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 9

You have 30 days from when you were notified of the price rise to make a decision.  If you are simply leaving (not transferring to another provider) then you need to give the usual 30 days notice to leave (that's not the same 30 days, it's another 30 days).

If you don't tell BT you are leaving within the 30 day decision period, they assume that you have accepted their price rise, and the contract continues.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

The relevant part of the email is as follows:-

"You don't need to do anything but if you want to change something or leave, and you're within your minimum contract term, you'll need to contact us within 30 days of receiving this email to avoid paying a charge for leaving early. You'll need to give us 30 days' notice to leave (or 14 days if you're switching to a new provider). We won't charge you for any increase in price during that time".

0 Ratings