cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
samsmob
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

When a contract is not a contract but a scam!

Go to solution

When its a BT contract of course! Signed up to a 2 year deal (at what I was led to belive was a fixed price) in december and then in september Ive been hit with a 15% price rise!!!! Sorry, but obviously I'm an idiot 'doh'!  

I've complained obviously but they couldnt give a monkeys wotsits, trotted out the old 'check the terms and conditions mate' and even basically gloated in their letter that its unlikely I will get anywhere with my complaint cos its in the T's & C's.

Well, there you go, one minute I'm a valued customer, the next ................................................. (insert your own description of a mug here)

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
-Richie-
Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: When a contract is not a contract but a scam!

Go to solution

All providers do it, it's the nature of the industry, which is why on all orders you're told 'Prices, content and terms may vary during the contract'
For BT or any other provider you must be given at least 30 days notice, BT's price rise was in September but customers were notified from June onwards, affected customers could contact BT within 30 days of being notified, their options were negotiate a new deal (all customers could renew at the pre-price rise BB cost), cancel without penalty or switch to another provider without penalty.

Not all changes are negative, BT did upgrade all fibre customers free of charge, Infinity 1 (now superfast fibre 1) customers saw a 36% speed incease up to 55 mbps from 38 mbps, customers who didn't benefit from the speed boost or had Infinity 2 (now superfast fibre 2) we're given additional cloud storage.

You could appeal to the advisor and see if there are any offers available, even if you can't save you could get some extras to give better value for your money.

0 Ratings
samsmob
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Whatever is in the fine print, it's misleading to advertise a '2 year deal' at £34.49 and then 8 months in put it up to £39.49!! I think perhaps this is done deliberately to target the more 'mature' customers like myself who foolishly trust a large organisation like BT with a 'contract'. I have spoken to many older people who feel they have been hoodwinked exactly the same as myself! Indeed they did give me 30 days but why would I respond to a 'price rise' email (which I obviously disregarded at the time) when I've got a '2 year fixed deal'? It's a scam and nothing else!! They are doing it deliberately and they are working on a percentage of people like myself who dont reply within their 30 days rubbish!

I have come across people like yourself that are paid by Bt etc to reply and comment on social media and forums (this bt community one is swarming with you people) and to be honest it's getting a little embarrassing now. It just goes to show that if bt have to keep getting people like you to fight their corner so much, they must have some serious delivery and PR issues!!

0 Ratings
samsmob
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Oh and by the way, I'm actually on 'Superfast Fibre 1 unlimited'!

0 Ratings
samsmob
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

Oh and when this happpened I had just had a heart attack and emergency heart surgery, so thanks BT.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

@samsmob wrote:

I have come across people like yourself that are paid by Bt etc to reply and comment on social media and forums (this bt community one is swarming with you people)

@samsmob

All the people posting here, apart from the moderators, are just BT Customers like yourself. Nobody is paid to post here, apart from the moderators (BT Employees), as that is their day job.

@-Richie- is trying to be helpful by explaining how the contracts are presented.

If you are not happy with this, then write a complaint to BT.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/complaints/queue_id/478

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

@samsmob

It would appear you didn't read the community guidelines and information when you joined otherwise you would have realised that everyone posting on here apart from forum mods are customers just like yourself!

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
samsmob
Beginner
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

Thank you for your reply, and if he is just another customer then apologies but there's an awful lot of people with a great deal of info aho are very quick to reply or comment on various posts.

Yes I have complained formally to BT but they trot out the old "check the terms and conditions"! and oh........... you didnt reply to us in 30 days of an email so you've now been punished! go and stand in the corner!

I'm upset because I feel like I have either been a) misold  b) naieve or c) stupid  or even all 3.

I just don't like having the feeling like Ive been 'done'! 

I have no complaints whatsoever about the product, my broadband and bt tv is superb and I wouldnt hesitate to recommend the product, it's just I feel that that Ive been taken advantage of and not been treated fairly.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

@samsmob

you can also look at positive side in that when BT announce a price increase you can leave without penalty and move to another provider as a new customer and get the cheaper new customer deals  If you were in fixed amount then you could not leave without cancellation fees

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
samsmob
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

I agree that's ok and I have had a look around but, as I said in earlier post I think the bt product/service is good, so I dont particularly want to leave.

And....... if you look at all the deals on U switch, they actually now not only tell you how much per month but also, how much you will pay in total over your agreed 'contract period'! It's only when you carry on through the various steps that it makes a statement on one of the pages "prices may vary".

0 Ratings