cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Diallo2009
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Why BT has disconnected me on the day signed up with a new provider?

Two days I decided it's time to switch from BT to another provider, Then 24 hours after receiving a 2 weeks timeline for line takeover BT decided to turn my broadband off now leaving me without internet for the next two weeks.
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Why BT has disconnected me on the day signed up with a new provider?

It may depend on who you moved to. If its not a provider who uses the BT Wholesale network, then the changeover will not be seamless, as your new provider may have their own equipment in the exchange. Sky is one such provider, and there are others.

A two week changeover would seem about right, if that is the case.

I assume you contacted your new provider first, and they informed BT Retail that they are going to take over the service, as that is the correct way to do it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
Diallo2009
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Yes i contacted SKY Monday To say i want to switch to them, and by Tuesday my Bt broadband connection is cut off . Is that how the switch works?
I moved from SKY to BT a year ago and they didn't treat me like this.
0 Ratings
Diallo2009
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

The switch takes 14 days and BT should not have disconnected me before the 14days were up.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

For Sky to provide broadband, the BT Broadband equipment has to be disconnected, and your line routed via Sky`s equipment in the exchange. This involves someone in the exchange re-jumpering the connection. I assume you still have dial tone from BT?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 9

Presumably you contacted a Sky, and didn't contact BT yourself, ( the correct process ), in effect you left it to Sky to give your notice to BT of your intention to leave.
As you that you don't say anything about ( so presumably haven't received ) the 'sorry to see you leave' letter from BT, that indicates BT have not yet done anything to your line, in fact it's the process of being moved to Sky that 'disconnects' your BT service, so it's likely that this problem is nothing more than coincidence , basically your broadband has gone faulty in the period between you moving from BT to Sky, the potential problem is reporting the fault , as you will have a migration on file, and it's possible that by the time your BT fault is looked at, you may have already been migrated to Sky

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Hi @Diallo2009

Welcome and thanks for your post!

I'm sorry that your broadband has been disconnected early.  This doesn't look right to me.  I would have expected the broadband to remain connected until much closer to the date/time you were given for the transfer.

Can you send us over your details and we'll take a look at this?  Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Hi @Diallo2009,

Thank you for sending in your details. I gave your mobile number a quick call, I'm sorry that I didn't get speaking to you.

I've had a look at the details of your account and both your telephone service and Broadband are still showing as being active with BT. I can see that your services are due to transfer to your new provider on the 24th.

There is an open fault for your Broadband service and our suppliers are currently investigating.

Is your Telephone service still working okay or has this also been affected?

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings
Diallo2009
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

The phone line works, I can receive and make calls. There is a dialtone fine. I reported the fault to BT because I thought it was not right I get disconnected at the same time I received the text to say`` we're sorry to see you go``
You can call me back before 16:00
0 Ratings