cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Why are BT willing to lose my custom altogether rather than offer me a cheaper package?

My package is for BT fibre 1

We recently moved and took our broadband with us. We moved from a massive building to a tiny bungalow. There are only two people here using general internet, emails, social media etc. and watching Netflix occasionally. There is no-one (anymore) gaming etc.

My package is £49.99 per month

Compared with other providers it seems overly steep and for an average speed of 66mb with others I could pay half the amount I am paying to BT.

Now, I don't want to leave BT, we have great connection and I have had no problems whatsoever since moving, but why are they not prepared to downgrade my package to a more reasonable cost? Why would a company be prepared to lose loyal custom than offer a different package that they offer to new customers?

Beggars belief but it looks like I have no option but to switch provider 😞

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Why are BT willing to lose my custom altogether rather than offer me a cheaper package?

you can try and phone the options team on 0800800030 and see if you can negotiate a new contract

did you need to agree a new contract when you moved home and transferred you broadband?

obviously if you agreed the cost then there is no reason BT should change contract terms midway through

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 16

Re: Why are BT willing to lose my custom altogether rather than offer me a cheaper package?

It's not mid term, they have contacted me to say the contract is almost up.

I have tried on live chat  and although I was offered a small discount on the current package they said I was on the best deal. Obviously not when they are advertising fibre broadband at almost half that price to new customers.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 16

They will only negotiate the package you are on or an upgrade, which obviously coasts even more!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 16

Find what the competition prices arefor the same package that you have with BT so you are armed with this informative  when you ring up again. If you don’t think what you are offered is very good say “I have checked and can get a similar package with xxxxx for a much better price” and say the price. If they can’t match it say you’ll have to think about it and try ringing a day later.

Although Note that some competitors don’t have or offer call protect, BT CLOUD or free antivirus so if you use any of those you may want have to consider the costs to replace them e.g BT Cloud with Drop Box.

not sure if this helps

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 16

Thank you for your replies. I was armed with competitors prices for what I was wanting, but all that was said was basically, yes, but they're not as good as us!

I don't use any of the extras, so that doesn't bother me. We have SIM cards with BT at a good price, but even saving £10 a month from those doesn't bring it anywhere near competitors.

I don't get why companies do this to existing customers??

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

surprised you can't get a good deal with options team on number I posted.  getting same as new customers is unlikely but you should be able to negotiate a new deal within a few £££   if not are you prepared to walk?  if so make sure cab is not full otherwise you will lose your fibre connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 16

Imjolly, thank you, I never thought about the cabinet being full up. I will make sure I check on that!

I'll give it a day or 2 and try calling, see if I can get anywhere. I was on live chat (easier to understand)

It's just frustrating really, they just didn't seem interested in downgrading me at all.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

@Val20 

You need to use the options team if you want to get a deal. They are uk based 0800800030

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

If you are out of contract you can re contract on any package you want. You do not need to stay on the same package and that includes "downgrading".

Once out of contract with BT find the package you want and check to see what "discount" they will offer you to stay.

If it is not good enough select another provider and start the process to move to them. BT will contact you and offer you a deal to stay. If it us good enough you just cancel the move with the new supplier and stay with BT. If it is not good enough you just move on and reap the rewards of the cheaper deal from the new supplier.