cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 16

Re: Why are BT willing to lose my custom altogether rather than offer me a cheaper package?

Good advice there. But if you end up switching elsewhere, the likelihood is that you'll be faced with the same dilemma when your introductory minimum period ends. There's no doubt that you can save a bit of money by switching providers regularly, but you also face the propensity of providers to mess up transfers, sometimes with distressing results. I regard giving up the potential savings achievable by regular switching as an hassle-avoidance insurance premium.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 16

Re: Why are BT willing to lose my custom altogether rather than offer me a cheaper package?

Do you have any personalised offers showing on MyBT at all?
If not scroll down the MyBT page and under Help and Support select Order and Upgrade , then I want to upgrade my broadband - you may be presented with some offers. Don't order anything but ring up as you can still get a little bit off hopefully.

I have always rung the 0800 800 030 and asked for Customer Retentions. In the past I have found them ranging from completely intransigent to very helpful - it is very hit and miss being heavily dependent on who you talk to and which centre they are based in as both my best deals came from the same place. You may have to make a fair few calls.

As a last resort in theory you could ring the cancellations team on 0800 783 1401  and say that you are looking to cancel because you aren't happy with what you are paying , and what has been offered , and they may well give you a decent offer to keep you. Obviously you don't go through with any form of cancellation as you will lose your phone number etc.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 13 of 16

For me, three months prior to contract end, the retentions team came up trumps. Their offer, which I accepted was a lot less than my previous price and half that of the options team offer.

Make sure you're talking to the retentions team as they are the ones who can give the best deals.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 14 of 16

Which number would that be please?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 15 of 16

That can be hit and miss.

Try dialing customer services 0800 800150 and asking for the retentions department. They may put you through to some other department so when your call is transferred ask "is that the retentions department" and if the answer is no ask to be transferred to the retentions department. Keep trying and don't take no for an answer.

When you get through to retentions explain that you're thinking of leaving because you can get a better deal from XYZ company, do your homework and give them the price. There is a second level in the retentions department and if  you can get transferred to them they will probably get close to the XYZ company's price, they did for me.

It can be time consuming but ultimately good for both parties as you get a better price and BT retain your business.

Good luck.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 16 of 16

When quoting the XYX company's price make sure you include any cashback offers, divide that by the number of months and subtract from the monthly price. I did and the retentions dept accepted that as a valid price.