cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Why can't I upgrade my fiber speed online, without booking an engineer visit?

Go to solution

I have had 'Full Fiber' for a month so far, at 150 Down 30 Up. (Full Fibre 100 Halo 3) I'm looking at upgrading to the 900 Down 110 Up (Full Fibre 900 Halo 3) and its £5.00 more a month.

However, when I go to checkout, I'm asked to arrange a time for someone to come to my house. Why? I already have Smart Hub 2 with WAN port - I already have the ONT installed - Surely no one needs to come to my house again? The speed is already available - Im being 'throttled down' to the 150 I'm paying for, am I not? I'd 'assumed' that it could be done remotely?

This isn't a 'moan' - Just a genuine question - Does someone really need to physically come to my house again, and if not... Why am I being asked to create an appointment for someone to do so?

Please educate me - Thanks 🙂

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Why can't I upgrade my fiber speed online, without booking an engineer visit?

Go to solution

I find the cost to move from fibre 100 to fibre 900 only £5 highly unlikely. However you should phone options team 0800800030 and see what you can negotiate 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Re: Why can't I upgrade my fiber speed online, without booking an engineer visit?

Go to solution

No, I'm not messing you about - See Screenshot - This is from my personal broadband deals in 'My BT' admin pages...

I know I could probably call up on that number you gave or on 150, but my question was "Why can't I upgrade my fiber speed online, without booking an engineer visit?"

I don't need an engineer visit do I? If not, I just can't see why I can't do the order online, without reserving an engineer visit? Am I correct about BT being to make the change remotely, or am I completely wrong and a man needs to go up the pole outside my house and flick a switch or something?

I'm not trying to be a troublemaker or anything, but I just wanted to do it online - That's all.

bt-screenshot.png

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Up to you but if you want to progress then phone options team not CS as you will get better deal. 

You should not need engineer visit for an FTTP upgrade

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

As you already know an engineer visit isn’t required to change speeds on FTTP , as far as why you are being asked to pick an engineer date , who knows , could be because you are on a speed that is also available from Gfast the order system isn’t sophisticated enough to distinguish between FTTP and Gfast so an appointment is offered that you don’t need , chances are on the date chosen you will get a text or something like that saying the upgrade is done 

Many Openreach ‘appointments’ never take place ,  on the copper network often an engineer visit is scheduled but not needed which is  a pain if someone ( for example ) takes time off work and has arranged access for the agreed date and time ( as they are expected to do ) and then access is not needed as the necessary ‘work’ is done remotely 

0 Ratings