Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MYH
Contributor
Message 1 of 29

Why can't I utilise BT Call Protect?

Go to solution

I want to raise a question about BT Call Protect which is supposed to be included with my package.

Even though I was told on 8th September 2017 that it was shown as active on my account, by both Live Chat and in a telephone conversation, I have been unable to blacklist telephone numbers.

I was then told during the telephone conversation that there was a problem and that Openreach would sort it out by 11th September 2017, but the situation remains unresolved and I am still receiving a lot of nuisance calls, including ones from "number withheld" and "we do not have the caller's number" plus several calls for which dialling 1471 reveals to be from "00" numbers.

Is the fact that I opted out of Voicemail preventing my use of BT Call Protect?

The "Settings" page states: "Your personal blacklist is off so these numbers will NOT be sent to your junk voicemail" and clicking on the "Turn On" button has no effect.

Also, I when I click on "Manage" a new page opens but does not show any history of incoming calls.

I would very much appreciate a solution so that I can use BT Call Protect, because these unsolicited call are a b***** nuisance and this included feature restricting such calls was one of the reasons I migrated to BT.

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 29

Re: Why can't I utilise BT Call Protect?

Go to solution

You may have BT Call Protect for free w/out having BT Answer 1571.

@MYH wrote:

Even though I was told on 8th September 2017 that it was shown as active on my account, by both Live Chat and in a telephone conversation

But have you checked yourself in your MyBT under Manage my calling features?

MYH
Contributor
Message 3 of 29

Go to solution

Hi @XRaySpeX

Thanks for your reply, but I did know that I did not need BT Answer 1571 to use BT Call Protect.

My question relates to the fact that before I migrated to BT I had arranged with my previous provider to deactivate voicemail so that callers could not leave voice messages.

So when my account was activated I asked BT to do the same, and that is why I wondered whether that was the reason why I have been unable to utilise BT Call Protect.

Do I have to have voicemail reactivated to use BT Call Protect?

If yes, on balance I would probably prefer to leave voicemail deactivated and continue to put up with the nuisance calls.

I have to sign in to MyBT before I can access my Settings and Manage pages. Presumably I don't have to sign in again?

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 29

Go to solution

I thought I had already covered all that.

@MYH wrote:

Do I have to have voicemail reactivated to use BT Call Protect?

No, as I said you don't need BT Answer 1571 to have BT Call Protect.

Just log into your MyBT whatever way you need to & have a dekko.

Zombie
Expert
Message 5 of 29

Go to solution

Hi @MYH you don't need voice mail to use bt call protect I don't have voice mail as my phones have an answer machine built in. You do need to sign into "my bt" to manage it.

Sign into my bt..

click on your package then inclusive extras.

Studio_20171022_192415.png

Scroll down to..

Bt call protect and click on manage BT call protect. 

Studio_20171022_192325.png

You should then see

Studio_20171022_192351.png

once you click on view received calls you can manage any numbers you wish to block. Or if you know the numbers you want to block just add them into that blue box.

If you do get a lot of nuisance calls I'd recommend buying phones with bt guardian built in having used them for a couple of years they have stopped all my nuisance calls. 

Hope that helps. 

MYH
Contributor
Message 6 of 29

Go to solution

Hi @XRaySpeX

We appear to be at cross purposes. With respect you have misinterpreted my question.

Voicemail was included as standard by my previous provider, but I asked for it to be deactivated.

Likewise, surely you can have voicemail without subscribing to BT Answer 1571 unless I was misinformed by somebody at BT?  Because on the day of my migration I asked BT to do the same, and I was not told at the time that voicemail was dependent upon subscribing to BT Answer 1571 anyway. I was just told that they would arrange to have it "turned off".

Therefore, my question was whether not having voicemail prevented me from using BT Call Protect. I asked this because of the message under "Add a number to your blacklist" stating: "Your personal blacklist is off so these numbers will NOT be sent to your junk voicemail".

So my concern was that, because I do not have voicemail, it might not have been possible for numbers to be sent to my junk voicemail, and that was why my personal blacklist is off and why clicking on the "Turn on" button has no effect.

That concern has now been addressed and answered by another member of the Community.

However, now knowing that I do not need voicemail to use BT Call Protect, leaves the unanswered question of "Why cant' I use BT Call Protect" unresolved.

I always sign in to MyBT when I want to check on anything because it is impossible to access details of my package/inclusive extras etc., or to change any settings, without doing so.

0 Ratings
MYH
Contributor
Message 7 of 29

Go to solution

Hi @Zombie,

Many thanks for confirming that I don't need voicemail to use BT Call Protect.

Also, thanks for your very detailed instructions.

Unfortunately, however, the steps you have shown are exactly the same as I have already been following, but without any success.

When I click on "Manage BT Call Protect" a page opens with a "Recently received calls" title on the left-hand side, but no numbers are listed. There is just a section which is blank apart from a circle with a bar which spins clockwise incessantly.

Then I click on  "Home" which is located just above "Recently received calls" and an "Add a number to your blacklist" page opens:

Add a number to your blacklist.jpg

This is where I have been hitting a dead end!

Thanks for the tip about using BT Guardian phones, but I doubt whether any would be suitable for me because I have severe hearing loss. Without my hearing aids I cannot hear any spoken words at all, and even with them I cannot hear incoming calls clearly enough on a conventional telephone to be able to distinguish what is being said.

Initially, in 2006, I used a Digitally Enhanced Cordless Telephone (DECT) designed specifically for people with severe hearing loss, but even that became inadequate after a time.

Then a couple of years later I came across the ideal phone at a fraction of the cost of those specifically manufactured for people with severe hearing loss.

Argos were selling a Wharfedale ORB Digital Cordless Phone which has a superb built-in loudspeaker on the rear. The price was ridiculous - about £8 if I recall correctly, but the sound quality is far superior to the phone I was using previously and which cost more than 10 times the price.

This model was discontinued shortly afterwards, which probably accounts for its bargain price, but it is still serving me well and I would be lost without it as far as telephone conversations are concerned. I just hope I will be able to find something comparable when it eventually reaches the end of its road!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 29

Go to solution

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. They are very busy at present so once you have replied to them by the link, it can take over 48 hours for them to re-contact you.

MYH
Contributor
Message 9 of 29

Go to solution

Hi @gg30340,

Very many thanks for notifying the moderators about my problem.

Hopefully, they might be able to help, but, if not, I will continue with my existing policy of not answering the phone unless I am expecting a call, and then dialling 1471 to find out who called.

Some callers' numbers don't even appear to exist when I google them, and 1471 records a lot of them just as being from "00" numbers.

It would be a great help if I could just blacklist all calls recorded as being "number withheld" or "we do not have the caller's number", but I am not even being protected from those calls.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 29

Go to solution

Hi @MYH and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry you're having problems with your Call Protect. I'll be happy to take a look at this and make sure everything is in order for you. Can you please drop me over an email with your details? You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile.

Cheers

David