cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rockydill
Message 1 of 8

Why does BT not clearly state date contract ends anywhere on website or bills?

Why does BT not clearly state date contract ends anywhere on website or bills?

7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: Why does BT not clearly state date contract ends anywhere on website or bills?

Welcome to the forum. That a $64,00 question for many people. The problem is that technically a contract with BT doesn't end until it's actively terminated. References to "contract end date" usually mean the end of a minimum period during which the contract can be terminated by the customer without penalty. Once that minimum period is up the contract does not end but carries on subject to a 30 or 14 day notice period (though any special prices may revert to higher, standard ones).

That said, it ought to be possible to have the minimum period end date displayed on bills, though it's easy enough to get it from Billing Live Chat. Or keep a diary.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Re: Why does BT not clearly state date contract ends anywhere on website or bills?

So we are not aware of when we can change provider without penalty and/or prices increase when we are out of contract.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

@pottyperson. Our responses crossed. I was slightly more cynical. The same with LRS end date. I keep the end dates on my IOS device 'diary'. The trouble with BT, there are so many end dates to keep track of!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 8

@davidmridge61 wrote:
So we are not aware of when we can change provider without penalty and/or prices increase when we are out of contract.

You may be right. I don't know if other providers are the same, but none of them were keen on Ofcom banning the practice of automatic renewal of minimum periods a couple of years back, and the lack of transparency might be a bit of feet-stamping.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Rockydill
Message 6 of 8

Fair enough. But in that case why do they not state start date of contract on website or bills.
Do you have any connection with BT? (Just lookin at number of posts)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

everyone posting here apart from the mods is a customer just like you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 8

@Rockydill wrote:
Do you have any connection with BT?

I do actually. It's a copper cable that comes through a hole in my front wall.

--