cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gafs
Message 1 of 9

Why don't BT sort out problems?

i am hoping that someone working for BT will see this and do something however I am not holding out hope as the service I have received so far is disgusting.

I moved house on 25/06/16 and called BT over a week before to notify them. I was told that it was going to cost £130 but if I upgraded I wouldn't be charged. I upgraded my package to an extra £10 purely to avoid this charge and received an appointment on 28/06/16. On the run up to this I received a text saying that an engineer wasn't needed and I just needed to plug everything in, which wasn't what I was told but I used the day off I booked to do this.... It didn't work.

A call centre called me and kept me on the phone for over an hour doing checks and said that I needed an engineer after all. He booked me an appointment for 01/07/16, I used more annual leave and the engineer didn't show.

I submitted a complaint and received a call from BT where the man was struggling to understand me as I have a accent and it wasn't a UK based call centre. He was arguing with me saying that everything was working. In total I spoke to BT 5 times that day and finally had another appointment booked for 08/07/16 and again booked annual leave. The engineer didn't show. I called the call centre again, again through to a non UK call centre, going through the same conversation that I had had before. He told me to wait. I went online and was told I would receive a text with details of another appointment.... I never received this.

Again I called BT, as you can imagine furious at this point. The man booked me an appointment for the earliest date of 11/07/16, a date I made clear I couldn't do but he misunderstood and booked this anyway. I googled a uk based call centre (surprise surprise only deals with sales and not existing customers!) was put back through to a non UK based call centre where I changed the appointment to 15/07/16 (more annual leave!!!) and received a call today 11/07/16 from an engineer who was outside my house. I was at work.

If I call as an existing customer I am put through to A non UK based call centre with a wait time of over half an hour and then to go round in circles recieving more and more 'technical advice'. If I am a new customer I get someone in the UK answering within 5 minutes, how is this acceptable from a company like BT?!

I am paying for services I am not recieving and am considering paying the exit fee just to be shot of BT for good.

I am going to use every social media/ internet based platform I can to send this message to BT..... Hopefully this is the one that will work?
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Why don't BT sort out problems?

What service did you request, was it normal broadband, or BT Infinity or just a phone? You normally have to give 30 days notice of a home move.

If it was a broadband order, then

In order to find out what services and speed range that it available, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

If you ordered Infinity, and the cabinet is full, then you could be on a long waiting list.

Openreach provide the service for most Service Providers, so there may be an issue with the external network.

Gafs
Message 3 of 9

Thankyou for your response. It is normal broadband, tv and phone, from what I understand from the calls the line is active but the router isn't communicating with it for some reason. I was told my BT services should start at my new address on 28/07/2016.

Is it normal to have had such a hard time getting this resolved?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Do you have dial tone on your phone, and if you dial 1470 17070, does the number that it reads back to you, match the number for your line?

0 Ratings
Gafs
Message 5 of 9

I don't have a landline phone, I only have it as part of the package so that I can use broadband, is there another way I can test this?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

@Gafs wrote:
I don't have a landline phone, I only have it as part of the package so that I can use broadband, is there another way I can test this?

Buy a cheap wired phone, it should cost about £5, and test your line using that. Its useful to have, because you can check continuity of your phone/broadband line anytime.

Plug it into the master phone socket, and see if you get dial tone. If you do not, then try the test socket located behind the bottom section of the master socket.

The home hub should be plugged into the master socket, via a microfilter, and the phone plugged into the microfilter as well.

0 Ratings
Gafs
Message 7 of 9

It just strange that I have to have to buy something in order to check the continuity of a service that I am paying to receive. I have recently moved from sky and never had any of these problems with them, it is a move I am now massively regretting.

Do you have a number for a complaints department based in the UK?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

As Keith posted a basic phone is a useful item to have not just as a way of checking for possible faults at any time but as a stand by incase of mobile service failure also useful for emergency purposes
0 Ratings