cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PJMCBiz
Message 1 of 7

Why end of contract price hikes? Alienating customer base.

Hi, haven't posted a lot in here but I wanted to articulate my experiences today.

I've been in my new FTTP enabled property for just over a year, around 13 months so as such my contract period for broadband is now over.

With this in mind I checked my bill and the intial £75 a month I was paying had risen to £96 a month, and today I receieved a letter stating it was going up yet again by another £7.50 across 3 different services. So a total of around £106.  Over 1.2 grand a year for internet and some TV services.

I'm at a bit of a loss here - it appears BT think the best time to completely sting a customer for more money on their most premium residential service is when they're absolutely free to leave.

Now don't get me wrong, the service from the Infinity 4 connection over the last 13 months has been brilliant, I didn't want to move. I was happy with the level of service completely. The bit I'm dumbfounded at is the price hike after the contract is over.

So contacting the people on the online chat / help site, they explain to me that my "deal" period is over and now I've gone back to "full price". See, I would have no issues with this if it wasn't for the fact that new customers can currently sign up for Infinity 4 at a mere £60 a month, some £46 less than I was paying out of contract.

Regardless, I'm confused as to why I'm now expected to spend my own time now contacting a "loyalty team" to "see if they can get me a better deal". Why am I chasing people in order to stay?

Surely the obvious answer here is why didn't the "loyalty team" contact me? If they had called me and said "Hi Mr May, we notice your contract period with us is ending, would you like to sign up for another 12 months @ £60" I would have snapped their hand off.

The long and short of it is - I've cancelled. Left. I'm not interested in spending my own time chasing another team to benefit a company who has just screwed me. I've signed up for Zen internet.

Sure it's £16 a month more than the Infinity 4 option at this point but I'm so annoyed at the way this has gone down I'd rather hand them £912 for the year than the easy £720 BT could have made out of me for doing nothing more than not trying to rip me off.

Seriously, get into the 21st century execs. People don't chase companies for loyalty bonuses anymore they should be awarded.

P

6 REPLIES 6
PJMCBiz
Message 2 of 7

Re: Why end of contract price hikes? Alienating customer base.

Also - now I've just waited in a queue for 30 minutes to cancel my service and the second it hit 9pm I was completely cut off. Oustanding. Glad I'm leaving.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

If your contract is over you do not need to cancel BT in order to move to a new provider. You just need to contact your new ISP and tell them when you want the service to start and they should contact BT and carry out the move.

See link

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/05/a-guide-to-switching-uk-broadband-and-phone-provider-a...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

@PJMCBiz wrote:

Seriously, get into the 21st century execs. People don't chase companies for loyalty bonuses anymore they should be awarded.

P

Really? I guess you haven't bought car/house/holiday insurance lately then, or electricity, or gas or ................

0 Ratings
PJMCBiz
Message 5 of 7

I thought so too, apparently not for FTTP.
I queried this and Zen tell me I need to contact BT with the date the service will be starting.

Which I am again trying to do now, but I've been on hold yet another half an hour and the anger is yet again rising.

0 Ratings
PJMCBiz
Message 6 of 7

Uh huh.. and all of those companies are slowly finding out the hard way when people easily switch away from them using an online switch/comparison service.

Case in point, BG hiked their prices, I used U-switch, I pay £25 less a month without lifting a finger.

Whilst your point may be valid that other industries "do this too", it's hardly useful and pretty much just inflamitory.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

I didn't say I agreed with it, unfortunately its just the way the world operates today. The bean counters obviously think it works or they wouldn't do it.

0 Ratings