Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
BarryRiley
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 39

Why is BT BB so insanely expensive?

I was looking to upgrade from the 40gb package to the unlimited package so I could join Netflix but I just cannot warrant paying £26 for something which is simply not worth £26. Sky offer unlimited broadband for £10. I have been with both companies and there really is not £16 difference in quality. How on earth can BT justify charging such ridiculous amounts for a service which is offered cheaper with just about every other company in the country. When I was with Virgin I was paying £26 for unlimited 30meg broadband, and BT want this same amount to provide me with 5meg!
0 Ratings
38 REPLIES
arron1718
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 39

Re: Why is BT BB so insanely expensive?

maybe because bt supply sky
and bt have to cover more costs than the others (exchanges,phone boxes ect)

also bt cant compete too well with its hands tied

also netflix sucks
itv/bbci/4od/5od are pretty much all they have and a few rubbish films
love film is cheaper with a lot more content
0 Ratings
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 39

If you look deeper you will find varying amount of what you get, head over to the sky forums official and unofficial, and look at what unlimited and unrestricted connection means to many its far from all positive, their broadband is also what I would consider a loss leader product. Virgin cable I have been there too, Im confident to say its the worst provider I have been with, pot luck if you have oversubscribed pipe and is well noted for heavy line management and bleedin awful for gaming and they have spent far to long concentrating and piggybacking  TV services.

Look beyond the headline price that's were it matters.  Bt might not be the cheapest and by anymeans they are not the most expensive, some UK ISPs can charge 10x, 12x more per month considering the points you raise.

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 39

@BarryRiley wrote:
How on earth can BT justify charging such ridiculous amounts

They don't have to. More relevant to ask why their 5 million customers don't want Sky.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
BarryRiley
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 39

Netflix might suck. I'm currently using the free trial and probably won't extend this as the ocntent seems very poor. However, this is beside the point. I still wouldn't be able to take advantage of the LoveFilm offer considering BTs restrictions.

I used to work for Virgin Media. I have absolutely no allegence to the company, one the contrary I thought the job was **bleep**, however I worked within the broadband department setting up the 50meg and the huge majority of customers got no less than 46meg at any period during the day.

As for the comment about providers being 10-12 times more expensive - please find me an ISP which charges £260 a month for unlimited internet at 4.8meg.

I think a lot of the reason BT have so many customers is a combination of clever marketing ("Look, we've just invented fibre optic broadband - 10 years after other companies already had it") and the fact that some people, particularly older customers, simply won't shop around. They know BT as a household name and don't really know how much they could save if they went elsewhere.

The fact of the matter is still whether BT's internet really is £16 a month better than Sky's? In my opinion of extensively using both - not even close

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 39

Oh well, perhaps when all the silly old sods like me who don't know what they're doing have died off, BT has gone out of business, and Sky is master of the universe, the world will be a better place. Or maybe not.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
BarryRiley
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 39

I don't care whether BT go out of business or whether Sky make a penny. I look out for myself, the consumer. I'm no 'fanboy' of any company.

The fact is that unlimited broadband at 4.8meg is not worth £26 a month in this day-and-age. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 39

Have you tried haggling with BT yet?  The only people who should be paying the full price for BT broadband are those who don't want to be locked into a new contract.  Otherwise, phone up BT, tell them they are too expansive compared with another provider and you will move to the other provider unless BT offers you a better deal.

You are pretty much guaranteed a discount if you do that.

0 Ratings
masona2
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 39

@pottyperson wrote:

Oh well, perhaps when all the silly old sods like me who don't know what they're doing have died off, BT has gone out of business, and Sky is master of the universe, the world will be a better place. Or maybe not.

Great post, without showing allegiance to any one company.

@BarryRiley wrote:

I don't care whether BT go out of business or whether Sky make a penny. I look out for myself, the consumer. I'm no 'fanboy' of any company.

The fact is that unlimited broadband at 4.8meg is not worth £26 a month in this day-and-age. 

You do know you only have to pay the full whack for only the first year of your contract don't you?

After that, its negotiations galore! I only pay £12 a mth for unlimited BB. And I have also seen posted users getting it for as little as £9 a mth. So its not all bad news, Mr Consumer...

Rank - Mostly Harmless.
0 Ratings
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 39

What percentage of the 50megs customers of VM got a average of 46 megs at any time was it the whole customer base in the UK or a particular area, my money is a particular area if any other its  BS! I stand by my previous VM comment they are awful. If you have worked in the industry surely you would no Ofcom stopped BT group from deploying FTTC any earlierSmiley Surprised

As for ISPs charging more I cant post the link however I will pm the ISP, they do exist. The sale of speed is only part of the service its what you can do with it is what counts.

Not being a direct BT customer (pay for my mothers line, I live in different county with non BT line)  or ever employed in the industry, you have dig a bit to get support with BT, however goodluck with sky, unrestricted broadband means you managed by other customers  and at the mercy of their habits! If you ever need OR out goodluck with that and if the exchange is crammed with cheap seeking broadband users whistle in the wind for capacity to be increased.

Ps PM link sentSmiley Embarassed

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings