cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 13

Will My BT Mobile Contract Automatically Renew?

My BT Mobile contract will end on 27th July.  I just need to know whether if I do nothing to either renew or cancel the contract if the contract will end on the 27th or automatically renew.  BT says:

"You're currently paying:
£14.00 a month for BT Mobile 1GB Phone Plan and that will continue to be £14.00 a month on 27 July 2020."

Does this mean that I have to take action to prevent the automatic renewal of this contract?

Thanks

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: Will My BT Mobile Contract Automatically Renew?

Hi @Cornicle41 

Once your contract has ended you will be on a rolling monthly contract, you don't need to do anything if you wish to continue with your current phone/plan.

Highlighted
Message 3 of 13

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 13

Common parlance is misleading because contracts don't just end - you have to have a contract to receive a service. What ends is the minimum period during which you would be liable to pay a penalty if you cancelled.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Message 5 of 13

You mean you have to have a mobile contract with BT, right?  I mean, there are such things as no-contract mobile service providers -- Lebara Mobile, for example -- who offer a no cancellation fee service.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 13

@Cornicle41 wrote:

You mean you have to have a mobile contract with BT, right?  I mean, there are such things as no-contract mobile service providers -- Lebara Mobile, for example -- who offer a no cancellation fee service.

Yes, my comment was in the context of BT services, though the same applies generally to major communications providers.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Message 7 of 13

Scratched.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 13

As nobody has mentioned it so far either, if you're on a handset plan there should be the option of downgrading to sim only as well if you're happy with the handset

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 13

I got a letter the other day. Several issues with it.

1) In big letters on the front of the envelope 'Important news: your contract is ending.'. Urrr no it isn't, the minimum term is ending.

2) The price comparison inside is misleading. It states my current price for a 2 SIM Family Sim plan (before £5 discount) and compares it with a new deal which is seemingly cheaper for more data. The new deal, whilst also prior to £5 discount, is also for 1 SIM only. Which is ridiculous as you cannot have a Family SIM deal with 1 SIM. So it is not comparing apples with apples - it is comparing apples with fiction!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 13

Just to add, the deal that they describe in the letter is not a 'BT Mobile Family SIM 12GB plan' at all. It is a standard single SIM 12GB deal for £17 pm and is certainly not an 'exclusive offer for you' as stated in the letter.

The renewal letter really is misleading. If I was to renew on a 2SIM Family SIM deal 12GB deal it would actually cost £5.60 extra a month more than currently for data we don't need, and would lose access to BT Sport Mobile. So there is absolutely no reason to renew - best to stay put on current plan on a rolling contract.
0 Ratings