cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lowrider007
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

With BT moving from copper to 'Digital voice' has the time come to drop our line rental?

Go to solution

Like many I have recently received a letter preparing me for "The nest generation of calling!", now I haven't had a phone plugged in my socket for over half a decade now and never intend to, with copper now being phased out, surely now is the time BT customers have the option to ditch the 'phone' aspect of their package rather than being forced to pay for a service that is never used? 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
-Richie-
Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: With BT moving from copper to 'Digital voice' has the time come to drop our line rental?

Go to solution

BT already offer broadband only, you still have a line though and line rental is still included, It's the voice element you have the option to remove and that makes up a small fraction of the cost, currently there is no financial benefit but that might change.

0 Ratings
lowrider007
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Re: With BT moving from copper to 'Digital voice' has the time come to drop our line rental?

Go to solution

You can remove the voice element of your package? I wasn't aware of this, I was told by a BT engineer not so long ago that BT couldn't legally do that at the moment.

Also, just so I understand, the line rental I'm paying currently isn't for my phone line? My issue is I don't want to pay for phoneline rental if I'm not using it, I have FTTH, I don't want a landline at all.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

you are paying for the rental of the line for your broadband whether that is a fibre or copper connection.  you cannot get broadband without a line.  you can opt out of the ability to make/receive calls but there is no saving in cost

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
-Richie-
Guru
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

The price you pay includes all costs to provide the service, the broadband comes down a line, how it's delivered doesn't matter, you do now have the option to remove the voice element, you can read more about it at Broadband only deals 

If you don’t use your landline phone, Broadband only lets you have the broadband you want without the landline you don’t. However, you won’t be able to make or receive any incoming calls on your landline phone. This includes calls to the emergency services.

0 Ratings