cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Wondering whether to upgrade to full fibre 500 or not.

Go to solution

Hi everyone,

I've recently just signed up to full fibre 150 with BT TV, and I am loving it! However it came with a 1 month speed boost to fibre 500, which I'm a few days into.

It has me wondering if I should upgrade to the fibre 500 when the boost runs out. I know my network can handle the speeds fine, but I am wondering if fibre 500 would be overkill for me? Is the speed of fibre 500 really needed outside of downloading and uploading large files? The only other device in my place that uses a lot of speed is my gaming computer.

Also I'm wondering about the contention, what happens if all 32 people in my area are heavily using fibre at the same time? Would my speeds be more drastically reduced if I stuck with fibre 150 vs fibre 500? Or is the contention the same no matter what speed you pay for?

Sorry if I'm not making much sense, I don't know how to use the right words properly. But I hope I made enough sense 😄

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Wondering whether to upgrade to full fibre 500 or not.

Go to solution

If only your or only 2/3 devices in use then Probably 500 is overkill.  Why not just wait until 500 boost finishes then see how you get on with 150 and then decide to upgrade or mot

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Unless you are streaming multiple Ultra HD content, uploading/downloading large files or the household has many users gaming in max resolution your Fibre 150 will be more than enough. 

Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Are you having a problem with 32 people in the same area being heavy downloaders and fibre users at present or are you just looking for an unrealistic reason to upgrade any way?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

It is only something you can decide as you said and don't really have enough Information to decide currently so maybe you are better informed when you boost period is ending

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Would that fully contended speed be even lower on a fibre 150 package, or the same? Does paying for a higher package also mean better fully contended speeds too?

An excellent question. I’d like to know the answer to this as well.

Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

You always have the "Stay Fast Guarantee" based on the minimum speed you've been promised.  Of course, the problem is that the only resource available is for BT to fix the issue (giving you that quoted minimum) or allow you to leave the contract "free of any termination" fee - but only once you've given them the opportunity to find a solution.

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Your decision that 150Mb will be sufficient for your needs was always going to be a personal, subjective one for you , if effect , only you could really answer the question you asked, others in different circumstances may ‘need’ more bandwidth and 150Mb would be limiting, personally I only have FTTC with 80Mb , but it’s sufficient for my needs.

As fas as some of the other points you raise , it’s actually a maximum 1/30 splitter ratio as that is Openreach policy and in practice, when you consider other physical limiting factors, like the number of CBTs that can be connected to a splitter (depending on the node size) plus take up is never 100% , in fact it’s on average less than a third of that , the chances of being on a splitter that is unable to satisfy demand at peak times is very small, however even in those extremely unlikely situations, the PON uses DBA ( dynamic bandwidth allocation ) to ensure the available bandwidth is distributed amongst the members of the network equitably, its not as simple as dividing the number of users ( up-to 30 ) by 2.5Gb , and allocating 83Mb each , there are minimums everyone will get , and the rest allocated ‘fairly’ up-to that customers profile limit,  an example , if someone on a 1Gb connection is downloading constantly, others don’t ‘only’ get access to the remaining 1.5Gb , it’s much more sophisticated that that , and as  ‘dynamic’ suggests allocation changes as the demand changes , but ultimately, it’s very unlikely that everyone will be making large demands at the same time .

Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Thank you for your very detailed and thorough explanation iniltous, it's just what I was looking for! It's helped put my mind at ease now.

Thank you!! 🙂

0 Ratings