Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gemma_P
BT TV Expert
Message 11 of 21

Re: Wrong information on "BT track my order"

Hi @robartist ,

Sorry to hear there is some confusion with your order. If you are able to send me the order reference or an account number via a private message, I'd be happy to look into the problem for you. Thank you. 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 21

@robartist wrote:

Thanks

Your link doesn't work for me still. It comes up with:

There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided. Most new numbers will appear on the checker 24 hours after BT has installed the line.

If this is a new BT number and does not appear after 24 hours then please

So, I did this:

1 used 

https://www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode

to find my old postcode

2 I then went to

https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

and entered my old postcode.

I then used the same link to enter my current postcode

They both came up with the same exchange.

Though in neither case could I enter house number. Just postcode. So, maybe one end of the street has a different exchange to the other. ??

Then initially it looks like both your old address and your current address are both on the same exchange. That means you should be able to keep your number, assuming that your number was originally issued by BT which it most likely was back then.

Its possible that you may be initially given a new number, but it should be possible to have it renumbered back to your own number.

I am sure that @Gemma_P  will be able to clarify it for you.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 21

@robartist wrote:

Is there a simple way to just find out who owns the number? That would make sense so probably the answer is 'no' 🙂

You can check to see who owns your number.

If you have a quick look at the OFCOM website :-

http://static.ofcom.org.uk/static/numbering/index.htm#geog1

and download the spreadsheet that contains your number range (note the numbers exclude the leading zero). The line in the spreadsheet will show to whom the range is allocated.

0 Ratings
robartist
Contributor
Message 14 of 21

It came up with

AllocatedBT3+715/07/1994

Very strange that it's 1994 because we moved into this house in 1983! And we have had the same number since 1983 (unless I have misremembered!).

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 21

I suspect that prior to that date, there was no official allocations, as there no other OLOs (Other Licenced Operators), so I would not read too much into it.

The fact that its a BT number, and you are still connected to the same exchange, means that you should be able to keep your number, but you will have to wait until Virgin release your number back to BT when your Virgin service ends.

I suspect that what will happen, so you get your broadband connected, is that you will be allocated a temporary number, as broadband cannot be provided without a working phone line.

Once the number has been released back to BT, you should then be able to get your original number back.

I assume you have sent some info to @Gemma_P . So what I would suggest, is that you wait for your phone and broadband to be activated. Once that has been done, if you have not got your original number back, then post back here, or keep in touch with @Gemma_P , and she, or one of the team, can arrange a manual renumber.

I wonder if the later date that is showing on you order, is the date that your original number will be restored?

Perhaps you could update this thread with any progress, as I am sure others would be interested in the outcome?

0 Ratings
robartist
Contributor
Message 16 of 21

Hello Gemma

Thank you.

I tried to send you a private message with my order number. But the system on this forum wouldn't let me.

Firstly it stopped me because it allegedly contained some html??? (all I had done was copy and paste from the BT website my order information).

Then it wouldn't let me send you a message because I have reached my limit of private messages.

Very strange seeing as this is literally the only private message I have attempted to send.

Is there a more reliable way to send you the order number as  this system doesn't seem to work.

Thanks again for your offer of help.

0 Ratings
robartist
Contributor
Message 17 of 21

Hello again Gemma

And thank you again for your kind offer of help.

I just tried again and the system claimed my message went through to you. Because I was expecting it to fail again I didn't include a message. Just my order number.

My message should have included:

1 Are you able to please tell me if we shall keep our telephone number?

2 Will all of the work take place on the 10th October - phone line installation and activation and broadband installation and activation.

FYI we have already received the new router.

Kind regards

Bob

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 18 of 21

Hi @robartist, Thanks for your message @Gemma_P has finished for the day but I'll make sure she is tagged into this message so she sees it when she's back.

0 Ratings
robartist
Contributor
Message 19 of 21

Bit of additional info. Virgin sent me an email today which I found confusing. I phoned them and was told to ignore it.

Part of it says:

Quick recap of what you now enjoy:Your new package now includes:
No new services have been added

We've removed: Phone: Perm No Conceal (1470) - Line Rental - Talk More Anytime

Here's how your changes affect your next bill:
Your next bill will be generated on 25th October 2019
Your next payment is due on 14th November 2019

Should I worry about the "We've removed..." bit???

Thanks again all of you

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 21

Its confusing, as it implies that you are continuing the rest of your services with Virgin, and only removing the phone service.

Bear in mind that Virgin have their own network, and BT would not necessarily inform Virgin that you are moving to them, so I assume you have cancelled all of your Virgin services yourself, and not just their phone service?

0 Ratings