cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aineri
Message 1 of 9

billed without my consent!

Good afternoon,

so someone else is taking over my line, which is completely fine. I am moving out soon and the person had arranged over the phone to cancel my contract (this i agreed to) and out their name on the bill instead (new hub and all is received). 

This was done on 28/7/2018

We were told take over was on 15/08/2018, nothing else. Simply talked about new charges that the other holder will have and that if I do not agree I have time to not cancel and let your representitives know.

I got a text that day, where I agreed for my line to be taken over.

05/08/2018 comes and I get en e-mail saying that my line will be taken over. Again, the date 15/08/2018 mentioned and not much more. Just that any extra charges there might be will be billed later and I will get my info.

the day of my cancellation comes, I am all calm, never, ever aware of ANY charges. And I get an e-mail at 3am in the morning (again, the SAME day as my cancellation is due when it's alreasdy too late to do anything at all) saying that today is the day and I will have to pay £257.00 for early termination?! Meaning I will be paying for air for the rest of the year! Never, nowhere, this was mentioned. I was not told that. I have all the e-mails and texts, so tell me am I going crazy or is this some smart move to get more money?

Now not only I am paying for the rest of the 7 months but plus new account holder will be paying monthly too! For the same house.

I went to google straight away, and noticed that if you let the cancellation team know that you want to cancel after 30 days, you are not charged for the rest of the year! So why was I not told that? I would have never cancelled prior to that then, I would probbaly have never cancelled to begin with and let the new tenant use my account, because this is ridiculous!

I was on hold on the phone the whole morning, the girl was really lovely indeed and after an HOUR on the phone, they told me some super master main manager would call me back. They promised me (yes, she said 'I promise you'). and here I am sitting with no news at all.

I am honestly not paying that because I never agreed to that!

I hope there is someone who could help me?

Many thanks,

Aine

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: billed without my consent!

If you were still in a contract, then you will still have to pay the remainder of the contract, plus any equipment charges. The 30 days notice has nothing to do with that, you will still have to pay.

What date did your contract start, and how long was it for?

How to view your contract terms

First of all you need to go to this page. https://www.bt.com/appsordermgmt/secure/listoforders.do
Then select the order that you wish to view, and on the top right there will be a link saying "Show contract terms"

0 Ratings
aineri
Message 3 of 9

oh right, that bit makes sense, i thought this applied to contracts too.

but them not telling me does not make much sense to me? it was never mentioned, obviously I assumed it was okay, because then I would have not given my concent for sure. if i am letting someone else take over the line, i don't understand how they are not making me aware that i will be billed for that

if they sent me the e-mail a day before, that would have been fine, I would have cancelled this whole process to begin with

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Unless you were transferring your BT services to your new address, then you would be subject to cancellation charges if you will still in contract.

Are you intending to move your BT services to your new address? If so, then it may be possible to save you the cancellation charges, as the remainder of your contract would be carried over to your new address.

If you refuse to pay any charges that are due, then BT pass the debt to a debt collection service, and your credit rating will be affected.

0 Ratings
aineri
Message 5 of 9

I understand that. But I was not told that. Ever. I got told that this morning at 3am when it's already to late and now I want to cancel my cancelling. I would have never done this.

And no I am not moving BT services to a new address, that's the whole problem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

You said you are moving out, so you are still going to be cancelling, as you will no longer be living there. You cannot transfer the contract to another person, they start their own contract.

aineri
Message 7 of 9

it is a family member, and I would have happily stayed the account holder for their house for the time being. That is not my point at all. Now my family member and me will be paying for the same house.

I am moving out yes and this has nothing to do with it. I never told them that i WOULD be transferring services to a new address. All I had to do is agree over the text and then I get en e-mail this morning stating of the charges. Again, I would have cancelled my cancelling whatsoever

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

If the family member can cancel their order, then it may be possible for you take the line back.

The sooner they do that, the better, as there may be a time limit to avoid any charges.

I assume they placed the order with BT Retail?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Remember of course, if they cancel and you take the line back, you will still be the bill payer, and they would have to reimburse you, and you will also be liable for any excess charges they incur.

0 Ratings