cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
littleorchard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

billing

Back in November 2016 i had a lot of problems with BT\openreach when they billed me for work they did not do. 

I was building my house and at that point in 2016 i was bringing in services to the property. Openreach had given me a price for the work but opted for a local company to do all the services including water, electricity, gas and phone line. Openreach were convinced they had done the work and billed me about £1700 which BT took out of my account and i subsequently incurred bank charges because it had pushed me over my agreed overdraft limit. I found out later what had happened and the money was returned. They tried again but it was blocked. For several months i tried to communicate with openreach and BT but  hit a brick wall everytime. Openreach seemed a law unto themselves and impossible to speak to and BT were equally useless. Whilst trying in vain to resolve this issue BT were still billing me for work they didn't do and i wasn't going to pay! This crazy, stressful ride i was on was now having an impact at my credit history all because bt\openreach could not get into their very dense skulls they did not do the work on my property. You'd think it would be straight forward... they could have checked if one or more of their vehicles had been deployed to my address and the road was closed for 5 days. Surely some paperwork somewhere? The groundworks company who did the work did a great job.

I'm now applying for a mortgage and low and behold mortgage lender is querying the 4 months of missed payments to BT from 10\2016. I'd never taken much notice of credit scores and credit reports but now its become very important. So thank you very much Openreach and BT for messing around with my life and making it very stressful. 

I never got a proper apology just an over the phone one from a mentor. I should have pushed for compensation and a written apology! And what about my credit history, how do you fix that. Will you fix it?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: billing

Please bear in mind that this is a BT Retail forum, and has nothing to do with Openreach (Its not BT/Openreach, just Openreach)

If its Openreach that have been billing you, then you will have to take the issue up with Openreach as they have a department which deals with self build.

0 Ratings
littleorchard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

It was BT who billed me. Some confusion over accountabilty as usual. Is there another forum because someone was available to take up my case back in 2016 and i records of proof. Why make it so difficult .

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

This is only a customer to customer forum, and I am just a BT customer.

Are you referring to this post?

https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/over-charging/m-p/1688375#M80901

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
littleorchard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Hi Keith, thanks for your help. A moderator is who i need.

regards

Patrick

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 7 of 17

@littleorchard I'm sorry for the problems you've had with these payments and your credit report.

If there is a discrepancy with your credit file, please can you go to the Equifax website (www.equifax.co.uk/ask) to check your credit file and raise a Notice of Dispute.

Once you have raised a Notice of Dispute, you'll be given a unique reference ID that can be used by Equifax or BT to search for and update the query.

Equifax mark the file as in query, so it won't affect your ability to apply for credit elsewhere while your account's being looked at. Equifax will then get in touch with us and we've got 21 days to respond to them.

If you have any more problems after this time, do post back and we'll be happy to look into this further for you. 

Thanks

Community ModeratorStephanie
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
littleorchard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Hi StephanieG, thankyou for the message and i will investigate. What has aggrieved me so much is the lack of BT transparency. Why wasn't it pointed out in 2016 by my moderater that, by the way your credit history has been damaged by BT because they were charging you for a period of 4 months for work which (Openreach) did not do. Clearly Openreach is a law unto its self but BT does the billing. The hours i wasted hanging on phone to India trying to contact someone who could help and the worry caused because no one would help was just appalling.  The website doesn't guide you very well, probably for a very reason,  to where help is at hand. Would BT be willing to hold their hands up and give me an apology in writing and compensation for the time it has cost me not to mention the bank charges when BT first billed for £1700 which pushed my agreed overdraft limit over its limit?

patrick

0 Ratings
littleorchard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Hi stephanieG i was hoping to hear from you today. Are you going to reply?

regards

Patrick

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

Hi @littleorchard,

Thank you for posting back. @StephanieG isn't in the office at the moment.

I'm really sorry to hear that debt was incorrectly shown again your credit file. The Moderator that dealt with your case back in 2016 wouldn't have had access to your credit file so wouldn't have been aware that it had been negatively impacted.

Have you tried what @StephanieG had suggested in her previous post?

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings