Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

cancelling my contract- how much will it cost

Hi, could someone possibly tell me what I need to know?

My contract term ends on November 1st 2013 and I wish to cancel it a little early, in fact I wish to cancel it from October 1st 2013, so a month early! I'm on BT Infinity Option 1 with inclusive evening and weekend calling plan. I'm currently in credit by£26.93 and my usage since my last bill on 16th June is £4.76. I pay £36 per month by DD.  Can any of the Moderators or Community staff please tell me what it will cost me to cancel that contract 1 month early and whether my account credit will be enough??? I'm moving to Virgin Media so won't need a MAC code so will there be any extra  charge for this?? I have Virgin installation booked in to coincide with cancelling on 1st Oct but if it's going to be too expensive I'll delay it for a month!! Any help would be massively appreciated!!

Thanks 

Dan

Guru

Re: cancelling my contract- how much will it cost

Hi

Have a look at http://www.bt.com/termcharges to see what your early contract termination fee may be.

As your also cancelling your line's connection and not using the MAC process then a £30 fee may also be applied.

Hope that helps,
Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Guru

Here is more information about the additional £30 line cease charge - http://www.bt.com/ceasecharge

Cheers

Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.

[ Edited ]

OK thankyou jac_95, I had already seen that on another link from another  forum!! I have worked out that including my account credit in the cancellation cost and the cessation charge as I'm going to Virgin I will have to pay around £16 extra. My next bill date is 16th Sept btw!

Thats as follows: 1 month at £11.25 + (11.25/30 x 14 days = £5.25)= £16.50+£30 cease charge =£46.50

(14 days is 16th sept to 30th sept and 1 month is 1st Oct to 1st Nov)

3x £36 dd = £108+£26.93 credit = £134.93

Broadband+Phone line rental+ calls= £105.11 

So £134.93- £105.11=£29.82 left in credit

Then £46.50 cancellation costs - £29.82= £16.68 to pay!! 

Does this look something like nearly correct???

Thanks 

Dan

Guru

thanks. With your figures it seems about right. Though the final figure may vary depending on your phone/bb usage.

Just make sure you give BT Retail adequate notice on when you want to cancel the services and cease the line.

BT Retail should then send you the final bill.

Cheers

Try a Search

Yeah, obviously guessed that if we use the phone that price will rise, but we don't use it a lot, so I wouldnt expect much of an increase if any at all!!!!I will notifying before the 1st September that I wish to teminate my services from 1st October and that they are to use my account credit and take any extra required from me by payment over the phone. Do I need notify them in writing by post or can it be by email??? If I can do it by email, do you jac_95, or anyone else know the email address to send it to??? I have a letter I have downloaded from VM with all the relevant info with spaces for my acc number etc to fill in, to send to an address in Durham, but have a black ink shortage in the printer so if I can email it it would be easier!

Thanks

Dan

Distinguished Sage

I think if you wish to cancel your contract you have to phone them. It can't be done by letter or email. Make sure you give them at least 30 days notice.

You need to phone 0800800150

I think I will call them this afternoon to confirm what I need to do and what charges I will need to pay!!!

Thanks guys!!!

Dan