Did you mean: 
winry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

contract / line rental renewal different dates and correct account holder

Go to solution

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can advise me on 2 issues:

1) I've always had my annual line rental renewal due later in the year (Sept/Oct) and my broadband/phone contract at the start of the year (Jan/Feb). I want to simplify it so the renewals happen together and try to each year.

Can anyone tell me the best way I can do this? Do I need to not renew the annual line rental in Sept and just wait for the Broadband/phone contract and do it all then? Or can I proceed with the line rental renewal, and come Jan/Feb when I sort my broadband/phone contract, they can "re-jig" it? The only downside to not renewing the line rental is that I'll be paying a bit more 😞

2) The actual broadband BT account is under my sister's name who moved out many moons ago and letters are still addressed to her. However I pay the bills, sort the annual contracts and everything and my online account is in my name. Every time I renew, they say I need to disconnect the current account so a new one can be opened in my name.

I'm happy to do this in Jan/Feb when it does run out but I desperately need to keep my landline number. Do I call BT to straight disconnect and create a new account, or would it be a transfer of ownership type thing?

in short, ultimately, I just want everything to be in my name, and Broadband and line rental contracts to occur at the same time but I just don't know how to do it.

Thanks

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
-Richie-
Guru
Message 2 of 13

Re: contract / line rental renewal different dates and correct account holder

Go to solution

Line rental saver saves around £1.90 per month, I've personally never saw the appeal of it but some do.
Having them out of sync isn't really an issue, It's refundable on a pro-rata monthly basis.

@winrywrote:

2) The actual broadband BT account is under my sister's name who moved out many moons ago and letters are still addressed to her. However I pay the bills, sort the annual contracts and everything and my online account is in my name. Every time I renew, they say I need to disconnect the current account so a new one can be opened in my name.

I'm happy to do this in Jan/Feb when it does run out but I desperately need to keep my landline number. Do I call BT to straight disconnect and create a new account, or would it be a transfer of ownership type thing?

in short, ultimately, I just want everything to be in my name, and Broadband and line rental contracts to occur at the same time but I just don't know how to do it.

Thanks

To do this means rejoining BT and doing a working line takeover, you will be given a brand new number then what you have now, you can then request BT to renumber the line to get the previous number back, there are no guarantees though and the number can be lost, there is also a £26 charge for a renumber.
Another thing to be wary of is capacity, if you have FTTC now and there's no free ports, you could lose the fibre slot, then upgrade but if someone orders during that time you could have no slots left.

When you're ready to do this just do it online or via the phone, don't mention the other account or existing number, you want to join BT as a brand new customer with no previous service, 10-14 days later your sisters account will close as yours opens.

winry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution
Thanks for your reply Richie. I may need to look at the line rental and what I'm saving (thought it was more than that which is why I bother about it every year but didn't realise it wasn't that much).

May I ask why I shouldn't mention my sister's account and just join as a new customer with no service? Is it because of new deals? If i don't mention my sister's account and sign up as a new customer, how will they know to close the old account?

Is there a different way to get an account in my name without saying I'm a brand new customer (like simply transferring names)?

Risks: I just want to consider the best route as I don't want to lose the number but now you've thrown another spanner in about the fibre slot. Can you clarify what you mean? I have FTTC, do you mean I lose my existing physical connection in the cabinets as it's full?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

You can't change account names even though it is your account that pays the monthly cost

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

@winry wrote:

Risks: I just want to consider the best route as I don't want to lose the number but now you've thrown another spanner in about the fibre slot. Can you clarify what you mean? I have FTTC, do you mean I lose my existing physical connection in the cabinets as it's full?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks

The cabinet has a limited number of slots and if customers are waiting, as soon as a slot is freed by a service ceasing it is grabbed. Unfortunately, not necessarily by you.

You can check if the cabinet is full by entering your phone number in the checker https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If it shows as 'Waiting list', the cabinet is full.

-Richie-
Guru
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

@winrywrote:
May I ask why I shouldn't mention my sister's account and just join as a new customer with no service? Is it because of new deals? If i don't mention my sister's account and sign up as a new customer, how will they know to close the old account?

You don't want any changes made of you intend to takeover the line, if a cease order is raised it can break your takeover order if the line has a pending stop.

0 Ratings
Carlusha
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

@-Richie-wrote:

Line rental saver saves around £1.90 per month, I've personally never saw the appeal of it but some do.
Having them out of sync isn't really an issue, It's refundable on a pro-rata monthly basis.

Even so, that tiny saving is far in excess of what one would earn putting the same amount on deposit at any bank and paying the monthly line rental. The Line Rental Saver is supposed to save one month's line rental.

Further, they're bound to be "out of synch" somewhat as the BB deals are  usually 18 months (or more?)

Does anyone have a Line contract of 18 months? If so, surely BT should also offer an 18 months line saver?

winry
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks for the replies. I've done a phone check and can't see "waiting anywhere". Does this mean I shouldn't have any problems if I sign up as a new customer, then ask to transfer the phone number to my new account? I guess I would then need to manually contact BT to close the old account once new one set up and phone transferred? Is that how I should do it?

Also @Carlusha, it never occurred to me that the line rental and account contracts will be out of synch going forward so thank you. However maybe I'm over thinking this. If I pay line rental renewal on the old account next month and want to open new account in the new year, what will happen to that line rental? Would it be best for me to wait and get the new account set up and then do the line rental? I assume they can't just transfer the line rental over to the new account?

bt check1.PNGbt check2.PNG

Thanks

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

there is no waiting list on your cab so should have no problem getting a fibre connection  you probably go as new customer and with a working line takeover  once you get setup as BT account holder and connection ok then think about line rental saver

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

@winry 

Bear in mind that you may have to accept that your new phone connection will now be over BT Digital Voice, as I think that applies to all new contracts.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/BT-Digital-Voice-a-better-way-to-keep-in-to...

How that will affect any re-number is unknown.

I am not even sure whether Line Rental Saver will still exist, as the cost of the line is now included in all broadband packages.