cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeaninwhalley
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

customer service?

I have spent over 90 mins on the phone, 20 mins on the internet and then written a letter - every call and contact requested a visit from an engineer ... all to no avail.

My 95 year old Mother uses Broadband Option 1 with her iPad.  Her speed is 0.8 download 0.3 upload and the Hub flashes orange about 6 times an hour and drops the line.

Ecvery time it happens she has to  struggle to unplug at the socket and reboot the Hub...and her iPad.

After my last hour on the telephone to someone in India - they said the Broadband had a fault.

They then said my 95 year old, very frail Mother had to check her filter and, unbelievably, count the screws on her socket .... and then ring them.

I asked to speak to the supervisor but was refused.

They said no enginneer would visit my Mother until she had done the checks. As she is deaf and her sight is failing, she can neither check the fault herself, nor ring India, understand their gabbled English and hang on the line for over an hour.... for an engineer to tell her over the telephone what she has to do with her BT Hub ...

I cannot express my disgust and anger, that BT refuse to help my Mother and repair the fault.

Writing to this Forum is my last, desperate effort to get someone from BT to care and to help my Mother, before I write to the CEO and her MP.

Do BT have a customer service policy ??

Surely this should include repairing faults and helping such a very old lady - who only wants to play Scrabble with her family and grandchildren. 

BT contact my Mother constantly, trying to sell her fast Infinity Broadband - I suggest they fix the one she has first !

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: customer service?

I appreciate your frustration.

is the router dropping connection to the internet or is it the ipad dropping the wifi connection to the router?  if the latter I doubt an engineer would fix that as that could be a simple matter of changing the wifi channnel

if it is a phoneline fault then this link may be helpful http://www.bt.com/includingyou/assets/downloads/FreePriorityFaultRepair.pdf

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
belucky22
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

This is amazing and is a far worse problem than I highlighted in a previous post.  Surely what needs to be dealt with here is the unacceptable level of customer service.  What is the response to that ? The care should be much better than has happened here.  What steps are being taken to ensure the proper standard of care ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

I am sure the forum moderators will become involved as soon as they read your post they will then post you a contact link and will take personal ownership of your problem until resolved
0 Ratings
Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 14

BT should be happy to help your mother but under some circumstances she will be charged £99 for the privilege.  If she is old and frail and you cannot help her yourself then that is probably worthwhile.  All the checks and time on the phone and things like the location (not the number) of screws on the socket are geared towards making sure the the client will not be charged if an engineer attends.  In my locale you could employ someone (me) to run those checks and speak to BT for much less than £99.

As I do often speak to BT Broadband Technical Support I know that their level 1 response is highly scripted.  This can be very frustrating if you want to 'cut-to-the chase' but you often cannot do that and just have to humour the person you are speaking to until their script guides them to reach the correct conclusion.  If the script has a 'let-out' option for someone who has difficulty hearing or understanding what is being said then that cue was missed.

It seems to me that BT tried for a long time to help your mother.  They just tried very ineffectually.  Deal with BT yourself (we could tell you what to do here) or employ someone, or tell BT you want to risk £99.  

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Hi Jeaninwhalley,

Welcome to the Forum and thanks for posting. I can look into this for you if you wish. Drop me an email with the details. You'll find the "contact us" form in the about me section of my profile. Once I have the details we'll take it from there.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Jeaninwhalley
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

Thanks for your reply,

The phone line is OK - BT checked it.

The fault is almost certainly with the Hub .... about 6 or 8 times an hour, the broadband light flashes orange - then, if you do nothing,  eventually it stops flashing orange and goes blue again.

When the lights flash, my Mother's iPad loses connection.... and she has to either wait for the Hub to stop flashing

( some considerable time) and then reboot her iPad ....

or

she unplugs the Hub at the socket, waits a few minutes then plugs it in again - then the lights go blue - and then switches her iPad off, waits a few minutes, then reboots her iPad.

Is this reasonable to a 95 year old to do all this ??  I think not.

BT said there is a fault with her broadband.... NOT the phone line.

I have since written to Lisa Harrington, the Customer Services MD -  asking for her help.

This resulted in a telephone call - to connect me to the engineers dept,

Despite my protests that I had already spent an hour on the phone to them, unsuccesfully, the caller said to stay on the line and an engineer would make an appointment to go out to my Mother.

I stayed on the line for several minutes - then it went dead..... no success there then...

So I e mailed Lisa Harrington - but it was returned undelivered - rejected by BT.

So I have printed out the e mail and posted it....

BT Customer Servce Dept is "not fit for purpose"  - and completely dysfunctional.

If my Mother was not 95 and very frail,  I would change her Broadband supplier without hestitation...

Eventually that may be my only solution...

0 Ratings
Jeaninwhalley
Beginner
Message 8 of 14

I would love you to help ...I have looked for your e mail address ... the "contact us" section on the about me page ... is just a general one ... not personal.

I have "been there, done that" - in the past ... without success.

How do I contact YOU ??
0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 9 of 14

Hi Jeaninwhalley,

If you go to DavidM's profile here http://community.bt.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/17

There should be a Contact The Mods link under the About Me Section. Click the link and fill in the form.

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Jeaninwhalley
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

No,  I still cannot find a direct line of communication on the About Me page

Today I phoned 0800 1114567 - a suggestion I received by post, following my letter to Lisa Harrington..... and "Whe he" I thought ..happily and speedily spoke to someone in the UK.... who asked me if I had a Broadband problem.

I was unable to speak to the person who signed the letter ... from the Broadband Priority Care Team - she was unknown by the person who answered my call.

After explaining AGAIN right from the start about my Mother's Broadband being faulty since March 2010..... ( surely they can see the history of the account and read the letters I have sent on screen ) I was asked to hold the line ( AGAIN )  ... and eventually ( after 25 mins ) - during which time I threatened mutiny if I was cut off AGAIN, I was passed over to to the Technical Dept in India .. again... and again a young lady said my 95 year old Mother had to check her filter and socket .... AGAIN 

AGAIN she started to "check the lines" ... and AGAIN she was quoting mechanically from her set Script ...

If I could, I would set fire to their scripts.... it is truely HOPELESS trying to have a conversation with them.

I spent over 48 minutes waiting on the phone for her to "run tests" AGAIN ...

and they confirmed that the Broadband connection is dropped between 20 and 30 times every day....

each time it drops, my 95 year old Mum has to unplug and reboot both her Hub and her iPad....

And still they refused to book an engineer to help her ..... and this is the Broadband Priority Care ... which they say they  give FOC Prority Care to sick and housebound customers !

They said if an engineer goes out to her and she has NOT done the necessary checks first ... it will cost her £99 ......

AGAIN they said she has to speak to them on the phone and they will try to solve it for her by phone .... my Mother is very deaf and frail and obviously, at 95, cannot understand anything technological ..... and certainly couldn't respond to the engineer on the phone.... let alone spend the required 40 - 60 minutes being kept waiting...

They refused to give me a direct telephone number for the Engineer's dept. She said they didn't have a telephone number. ?????????

All my old Mum wants is a Broadband service which is constant - then she can play Scrabble with her grandchildren and great grandchildren....... not a complicated request ?

CUSOMER SERVICE ????   It is a farce. and totally not fit for purpose...

After a great deal of "What Happens Next" discussion ... the young lady reluctantly relented and booked a return call in 2 days time.

I have booked a return call now, supposedly from an Engineer, and if he says my Mother has to do her own checks before they will go out to her....

I will send every letter, record of every phone call, and every detail of this disgusting service to the Newspapers and to her MP ....

Up with this I will not put !

0 Ratings