Guru
toekneem

Re: disabled person

fuzzguitars wrote:

I did stumble on to the BTCare Community Forums and it seems like an good place to pick up tips from fellow users, I'm sure there are lots of helpful people out there. The forums are not the place for benefit bashing for that try the Daily Mail/Express, Telegraph, News International (nuff said), The Daily Star (supporting the EDL), The spectator (freak show) and Melanie Phillips!!!!!!!!!!! Rogues gallery indeed, now how about helping our disabled friend as he probably enough to put up with already.

You are allowed the right of free speech on these forums, so are others.

I will repeat my other post.

" if you read the other posts you will find that the majority of posts WERE offering or TRYING to offer advice.

The first 4 posts will verify that.

And I will say myself, that I disagreed with some of the posts, (and I know others did) That does not  stop anyone else having a different opinion to me.

toekneem
http://www.no2nuisancecalls.net

(EASBF)

Guru
AllanQuatermain

[ Edited ]

fuzzguitars wrote:

I did stumble on to the BTCare Community Forums and it seems like an good place to pick up tips from fellow users, I'm sure there are lots of helpful people out there. The forums are not the place for benefit bashing for that try the Daily Mail/Express, Telegraph, News International (nuff said), The Daily Star (supporting the EDL), The spectator (freak show) and Melanie Phillips!!!!!!!!!!! Rogues gallery indeed, now how about helping our disabled friend as he probably enough to put up with already.

Totally agree with your description of what the ethos of the forum is all about. Its for fellow customers to try and help each other.  I think the T&C's are pretty specific about not making political or religious points, and that includes sexuality, disability, minorities etc.

It is a place for making points about BT products and services, not scoring points about fellow customers. IMHO we do this in a light-hearted [sometimes :smileywink:] and I think generally friendly manner. Stick my neck out here, but thats what I want it to stay as. Not an online version of "Question Time" - which I think Toekneam is saying from another angle.

Thats me in the doghouse now then :smileysad:

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

Distinguished Guru
DS

Well, I'm rather disappointed with some of these posts:smileysad:

Q) Why do I contribute on these forums?

A) NOT to judge, just to offer help and advice.

I'd guess that many more fall in to the above, though it does look as if the OP has (IMO) been scared away:smileysad:

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Distinguished Guru
DS

toekneem wrote:
You are allowed the right of free speech on these forums, so are others.

Not strictly true. If our posts don't fall within the guidelines, they'll be edited or removed, as will our fellow customers if they continue to post in a manner the BT don't allow. I've been on very thin ice and have also 'lost' some good friends on here

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Aspiring Expert
GeneralDisquiet

In an attempt to get this thread back on track (Yes, I know that's not very like me - but this is a topic close to my heart), I'd like to offer a link to some practical help for disabled BB users.

The British Computer Society support a charity called IT Can Help,  a network of volunteers who are able to offer free local computer assistance to disabled people. They can diagnose and fix most computer related problems; Install and set up hardware, software, internet, email and accessibility settings.

This can range from sorting out a major hardware/software problem, to identifying assistive technologies that might help a client, to something as mundane as being with the individual to help them through BT's (and other ISP's) fault diagnostic processes.   You'd be surprised at the number of folk out there who simply cannot change a BB filter or move a cable, because they cannot reach it, or have a disability that prevents them undertaking even a simple manual task. Imagine how frustrated they can get when they can't get the 'BT system' to work for them.

If you come across a practical issue like this on the forum, please point the individual in the direction of IT Can Help.

Similarly, if you think you have what it takes to help in the real world, as well as here on the virtual forum, then I'm sure IT Can Help would be pleased to hear from you.

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
-- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559

Guru
AllanQuatermain

Great link GD, but many disabled BT customers might not know of it, or even discover it.

Hows about a seperate board on the forum for customers who are sensory impaired, disabled etc........

Customers from those user groups might then help each other on that board, together with the rest of us who are outside that specific user group.

True collaboration, and not in the "Quisling" sense of the word.

AQ.

Aspiring Expert
GeneralDisquiet

A cracking idea AQ.  Let's hope the Forum Mods see it in the same light.

:smileyhappy:

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
-- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559

Guru
stuartrogerson

Wow just seen this thread and had my breath taken away by the posts.

This is a community where we help one another.

That's all we are here for....

I won't enter into the off topic debate except to say this if you are disabled and stuck at home all day then really TV is a godsend.

Kafka's World
1000 Classical Hits
Guru
AllanQuatermain

GeneralDisquiet wrote:

A cracking idea AQ.  Let's hope the Forum Mods see it in the same light.

:smileyhappy:

fu.jpg

Granted: The Sir F U award!!

AQ.

Expert
neilmorgan

AllanQuatermain wrote:

I was glad to hear though, that BT seem to have taken a more liberal stance in allowing OAP's who were on the former "light use"[?] scheme to migrate to BT Basic with few questions asked.

Unfortunately that is not the full story. A severely disabled pensioner relation is on benefit but not the right ones to get cheap anything. I chased up the BT contract when they removed the low usage version and there was no way I could get her onto basic. Her phone usage is that low that we would have cancelled the contract and bought a Payg mobile phone but she needs the line for a "panic button"