Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 61 of 87

Re: excessive usage?

Go to solution

@davidpa wrote:

same problem started last month wnt over limit. this month got message used 7gb in two days phoned bt waste of time. then changed to option 2 now i have used 36gb dont know how. just opted out of btfon to see if it helps. could the router be playing up wonderd if putting my netgear router on would help?

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

BTFon is not included in the usage figures, and the router has nothing to do with it either - unless it is somehow continually sending/receiving data all on its own.

What does the online usage monitor give for your figures ? - see my shortcuts (link below) options 14d-14j, use 14j for the latest version giving up and down separately.

Can you give an indication of the types of things you are doing, such as catch up tv, skype video chat, games consoles, smartphones, tablets - any new devices recently etc.

0 Ratings
davidpa
Beginner
Message 62 of 87

Go to solution

hi on the 4th april the usage moniter said 11.82 used. i then went away untill 16th april unplugged the computer and router on my return the moniter said 20.77gb used. this week its gone up to 37.18gb used showing 3.12gb upload and 34.06gb download.spent about 1 hr a day on internet just on forums and looking for washing machines on internet. No catch up tv no skype no video chat or anything else you mentioned.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 63 of 87

Go to solution

@davidpa wrote:

hi on the 4th april the usage moniter said 11.82 used. i then went away untill 16th april unplugged the computer and router on my return the moniter said 20.77gb used. this week its gone up to 37.18gb used showing 3.12gb upload and 34.06gb download.spent about 1 hr a day on internet just on forums and looking for washing machines on internet. No catch up tv no skype no video chat or anything else you mentioned.

Hi again.

Clearly those figures don't make sense, and something is wrong.

I know for a fact that the usage system is flawed somewhere, because a friend has proved that with the router unplugged, the online usage monitor rose about 1GB during the day it was off.

I personally believe the usage is being correctly calculated, but that something else is being added to your particular account - possible due to an admin error with one or more people's usage also being added to it, perhaps due to a database error/ID mismatch.

0 Ratings
davidpa
Beginner
Message 64 of 87

Go to solution

i spoke to bt tec. department today and after telling them whats been going on they said some one might be hacking into my broadband even though i have got wireless disconected. They changed my hub name and said this should sort it. will wait and see. They also said that i will still be charged for the extra broadband i have used even though its not me using it didnt expect much else really.will keep you posted as to what happens now. fingers crossed.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 65 of 87

Go to solution

@davidpa wrote:

i spoke to bt tec. department today and after telling them whats been going on they said some one might be hacking into my broadband even though i have got wireless disconected. They changed my hub name and said this should sort it. will wait and see. They also said that i will still be charged for the extra broadband i have used even though its not me using it didnt expect much else really.will keep you posted as to what happens now. fingers crossed.

I'm afraid I do not believe them at all. How can they explain the usage when you had the power off ?

Try to keep a daily figure from the usage monitor, and take a screen dump each time as well.

0 Ratings
ellie3156
Message 66 of 87

Go to solution

I emailed the Chief Exec today already had two replies and they are investigating. Going to call me back tomorrow

Hope yo god they get this sorted

0 Ratings
Highlighted
peteratsrinagar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 67 of 87

Go to solution
I have the same "high usage" notifications! Over 50Gb per month but when I queried it with BT they said that I was a light user, using only 5Gb per month. They said it was a metering fault at their end. Have they fixed it? Don 't be silly! Bt....take the money and run like all of todays companies!
ross21
Message 68 of 87

Go to solution

I have the same problem. Been a option 1, 10GB customer since Dec 2009 and have never had a notification email stating I had exceeded usage until this month.

States I have used 12GB since 01 April, this is not possible as I have not done anything different and for the last 3 years have been using an average of 2GB per month. (confirmed when I called the helpline today)

The advisor at BT suggested someone else has been using my connection and changed my secure key password, I find it impossible that anyone else could have the password.

I tried to explain that I have BT vision which is also connected to the homehub and have downloaded on demand films using Vision, although it states this does not come out of your usage allowance I suspect there may be a fault and this is what is happening.

Not sure what to do really as it seems to be using around 1.5GB per day at present and only 11 days into April.

Did someone mention they have the CEO email address? If so can I have it? I have been on the phone for 2:45 today and just got utterly frustrated by them.

Does the rest of the users who have these issues also got BT Vision?

Thanks

0 Ratings
ross21
Message 69 of 87

Go to solution

Update on this

I have called BT 3 times and after resetting the home hub security key the usage was still going up daily.

I have called the vision support team for the second time and they have now said this is in-fact a known fault that BT are looking into. They have raised a ticket and given me a VOL reference number.

They said that when I get my bill to call the billing team with the reference and they will refund the excess usage charges. Hopefully they uphold this when I get the bill!

I would say if anyone else has this issue and has a BT Vision or Youview box they call the Vision technical support team and not the billing or broadband team as the vision team seem to be the best placed to log the fault

0 Ratings
HARRY-H
Contributor
Message 70 of 87

Go to solution

The Comment about Line errors increasing usage does make a lot of sense. When I was working in IT and Communications, the old Modem 7 was the order of the day but, nowadays, it's only use is for burying things at sea.

Back to line errors. If an error occurred whilst sending a data packet, that packet would be sent again, increasing the line traffic. By how much, would depend upon the size of the data packet. If the line had several errors, the older modems were intelligent enough to reduce the data packet size so as to reduce the chances of encuntering the line errors. This, of course, would make the data transmission slower. It would be a good question to ask of BT, directly, as to whether retransmitted data packes were included in the Broadband usage. HH.

0 Ratings