Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dwille1
Beginner
Message 1 of 87

excessive usage?

Go to solution

Like many I am utterly confused about my broadband usage which is slowly approaching 40 GB for this month. I will upgrade from my 10 GB limit, and am holding back from iPlayer, YouTube etc. but want to first query a technical point. 

Seeing that the reason for moving to BT in the first place was an Orange modem that keep out dropping out, is it possible that this may have something to do with my high usage? In particular, if the network has to resend packets, can this increase my usage? 

Wrote to BT but unfortunately missed their return call only to get an e-mail telling me I could upgrade to Option 2. This whole story is bugging me because I find it hard to believe what their montior says and am looking for ways to investigate or verify it.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
86 REPLIES 86
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 87

Re: excessive usage?

Go to solution

@dwille1 wrote:

Like many I am utterly confused about my broadband usage which is slowly approaching 40 GB for this month. I will upgrade from my 10 GB limit, and am holding back from iPlayer, YouTube etc. but want to first query a technical point. 

Seeing that the reason for moving to BT in the first place was an Orange modem that keep out dropping out, is it possible that this may have something to do with my high usage? In particular, if the network has to resend packets, can this increase my usage? 

Wrote to BT but unfortunately missed their return call only to get an e-mail telling me I could upgrade to Option 2. This whole story is bugging me because I find it hard to believe what their montior says and am looking for ways to investigate or verify it.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Are you keeping a note of your daily usage as shown via the online usage meter ?

Yoiu mention iPlayer etc, do you make a lot of use of that through the computer ? It could use many 100s of MB per hour, HD feeds could be well over 1GB per hour.

Those sorts of figures soon mount up, and even watching 1 hour per day can use well in excess of 10-20GB per month just for that.

If your previous service was with Orange, then the drop outs are more likely to be technical issues with the service rather than high usage - depending on your product option with them. If you had "resent" packets - then this is still deemed as usage.

There are a variety of free PC based usage monitors - e.g. Networx - which could be used and checked against the online meter. Note that they are not easy to compare exactly as the online usage meter is up to 23:59 the previous day and is 24hrs.

0 Ratings
dwille1
Beginner
Message 3 of 87

Go to solution

Dear Andy,

yes that makes a lot of sense but I still think our iPlayer usage should be well within limits. We only use it very occasionally if we've missed something.

Might it make sense to follow up the resent package question as I think we may have a problem with the phone in anycase. Sometimes it even takes two gos to dial out. Could resend requests have major effect on usage? 

I have put meters on our phones and will follow up the more traditional devices next.

Many thanks for your help. That is realy useful,

David

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 87

Go to solution

@dwille1 wrote:

Dear Andy,

yes that makes a lot of sense but I still think our iPlayer usage should be well within limits. We only use it very occasionally if we've missed something.

Might it make sense to follow up the resent package question as I think we may have a problem with the phone in anycase. Sometimes it even takes two gos to dial out. Could resend requests have major effect on usage? 

I have put meters on our phones and will follow up the more traditional devices next.

Many thanks for your help. That is realy useful,

David

Hi again David.

To be honest, I'm not really sure about the resend requests bit. Data the internet is generally sent in packets, and if they don't reach a destination they can be resent depending on protocol etc. To be honest, the resend isn't going to really have any such bearing.

Phone use is completely separate from internet usage and not the same - so can you say what sort of meter you're putting on the phone ?

Iindeed what sort of phone are you referring to ?

If you have to dial twice to make a call, then that's a different story and is not internet related. It could be a faulty phone/sticky buttons etc, it could be faulty micro-filters. Do you get a dial tone when you pick the phone up initially ?

0 Ratings
dwille1
Beginner
Message 5 of 87

Go to solution

Dear Andy,

sounds as if I might be shooting up the wrong alley then. I'm just wondering if a line fault could precipitate increased usage. Everything works now but the old modem certainly had problems.

The usage meters are on my phone and my sons iPod but I have yet to put them onto the computers. Inprecise typing from me I'm afraid. And re dialling, we sometimes get a lot of static on the line in which case calling out takes on or two goes. We always get a dial tone though.

Maybe its best just to get the phone line sorted, keep an eye on usage and hope they increase their limits sometime in the future. 

Many thanks for your help on this though. Its really good to sound off ideas,

David

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 87

Go to solution
Hi Noise on your line will have a bad affect on your broadband connection you need to get that sorted first phone 151 and report a noisy line but do not mention broadband when you phone
severeheadcase
Beginner
Message 7 of 87

Go to solution

Ok this is confusing.

I received an email last month telling me that I was upto and then over my 10Gb limit,  this month I received the same "approaching you limit" email.

Confused I checked the BB usage meter only to find that it was down for maintenance, now I have just checked again and it is telling me that I have only used 0.12Gb this month ... What is going on????

I am not a heavy BB user, I don't use YouTube, iPlayer or anything of the like so why the "heavy" usage all of a sudden.  Have BT messed up some where?

Dave

Tags (1)
wizard2552
Message 8 of 87

Go to solution
same here i dont download video or movie clips and am over 3gb since the 16th of this month ????
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 87

Go to solution

Hi likewise I have had an email saying I am up to 7gb of my 10 monthly allowance this on the 24th day of the month at the current rate of usage I will not exceed the allowance but what about the previous 8 months when the average was only 5gb per month it appears like most big business its Hard cheese lets get as much as we can out of the customer

0 Ratings
Brokk
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 87

Go to solution

Using 7GB one month when your average is 5GB isn't all that astonishing. Are you saying you don't think you've really used 7GB?

0 Ratings