cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deltaflyer
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 6

increase after renewing contract

just wondering if anyone can explain why,after renewing my bt contract,which rarely changes i.e.broadband & phone plus free wifi with free weekend calls,i have an increase in the amount i pay.been with BT quite a few years i.e. 10+ , and my billing started at £28 a month,increasing each time i renewed,£28/£36/£44. yesterday,after the latest renewal,it's now gone up to £56 a month and i've rarely missed a payment,probably about 3-4 times i've been late.shouldn't customers who are loyal be rewarded somehow ???  anyway just wondering why t always increases

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
free your computer, use opensource
i'm a linux user & very happy about it
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: increase after renewing contract

It sound like you are on a monthly payment plan, and not monthly whole bill direct debit.

If you do not pay by diect debit, then BT have moved you onto Line Rental Plus, which is more expensive.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 6

Did you receive an order confirmation when you renewed? It would detail the fixed monthly charges which you agreed to.

Extra variable charges for calls should be shown on your bills.

If you are on the monthly payment plan then the BT billing system uses an estimate for your future usage which can at times be wildly out. This should be obvious from your bills though as you end up well in credit. The whole bill payment plan doesn't use estimates, you just pay for exactly what you used in variable costs each billing period.
0 Ratings
deltaflyer
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

thanks Kieth,forgot to mention that i pay by direct debit,still doesn't explain the increase though

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
free your computer, use opensource
i'm a linux user & very happy about it
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

Loyal customers are definitely not rewarded.  It's like the insurance industry, and many others these days.  If you just pay what they ask, you get fleeced.

Renewal is your annual opportunity to phone up BT, and tell them they are too expensive and you can get a better deal elsewhere.  With a bit of haggling you get a discount on the standard rate for your service.

If your bill has gone up that rapidly, then I can only think that either you are on completely the wrong package, or BT are persuading you to keep more and more extras to your package.  Phone and broadband prices have been rising well above the rate of inflation across the industry recently, but it should still only be going up by a few pounds per month.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

@deltaflyer wrote:

thanks Kieth,forgot to mention that i pay by direct debit,still doesn't explain the increase though

You need to look at the bill and see what you are paying for each part.

If you are out of contract, then ring Customer Options on  0800 800 030, and negotiate a lower price for the next 12 months.

0 Ratings